NASCAR collection

Discussion in 'Other' started by buckwacker 48097, Nov 28, 2020.

1. buckwacker 48097

buckwacker 48097

My FIL passed away in July from a short bout with cancer and left my MIL with 3 different collections. We did sell his extensive toy tractor collection to a local guy, but have 2 more of his collections to sell.

He has several train sets that are displayed on a wall rack. Before he passed he said they sere worth somewhere between $8500-$10000. I can send pictures...

He also has an extensive NASCAR collection of mostly matchbox, but many more interesting/rare parts to his collection. My MIL needs the money and not the collection, so anyone has knowledge of an individual interested in such collections, please send me a PM. The matchbox are stored in 4 different large totes (3 of which are all un opened cars and 1 tote with opened boxes).

I will probably move the collection to my house because I don't want my MIL to have to deal with people.

Thanks in advance,

Mac

2. Big Frank 25

Big Frank 25 Premium Member

3. buckwacker 48097

buckwacker 48097

4. Fishndude

Fishndude

Some years ago my Mother gave me a box of old Hot Wheels cars I had as a kid. I didn't have any use for it, and gave it to my Son. He sold one of the (very used) cars for $94 on Ebay. I was shocked.

buckwacker 48097 likes this.
  5. buckwacker 48097

buckwacker 48097

Yeah, that's the problem we have. My FIL was a very intelligent man and helped run the City of Port Huron. He never invested in something like that unless there was some value. So here we are looking at 4 totes of matchbox ( 3 of which are all un opened boxes ) and my MIL that has no idea and could use the money.

I really appreciate the help Big Frank.

Mac

6. buckwacker 48097

buckwacker 48097

Sorry, I meant to say thanks to Fishndude....

Big Frank 25 likes this.
  7. Fishndude

Fishndude

You need to do some research before you sell any of these. You might want to check with an Auction House, or a professional Collector. This is the most expensive item I found that actually has bids on it. But look at the price!
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Wheels...371079?hash=item48f34a3147:g:sjgAAOSwiWBfwQWk

FIL might have been crazy, like a Fox. I've never been a big fan of Collecting, because popularity in stuff changes too much. Tons of people have stamps Collections they've spent 1000's of dollars on, and they are worth very little. Beany Babies were a goldmine...........until they weren't. Trading Cards have lost much of their value, unless you have an extremely rare card for a great player. But I am willing to bet you've got some real value in 4 totes of un-opened Matchbox, and Hot Wheels "toys."

I know nothing of model train collections, but someone surely does. Check around. I tend to think of Ebay as a good price reference tool for a lot of things, but that is just me.

8. buckwacker 48097

buckwacker 48097

9. georgeb

georgeb

I just had a 13,000 + match box, hot wheels and others car collection from a similar circumstance. The 1997 and up cars are not worth a whole lot, and depending if they are true hot wheels, racing champions or winners circle cars the value is different. Pre 1997 cars can be worth some serious money, I hope that is what you have. Do the research on the items, Pre 1995 treasure hunt cars are decent value and the original sweet 16 cars from the 60's are worth many $$$

Try the auction house "Toy Trains and other old stuff". Wylie and Christine Stivers are the owners and he was able to help me liquidate my collection. The auction house is in the corn fields and windmills in central Indiana

The link is https://www.toystrainsandotheroldstuff.com/

Tell him george (the guy from west olive) sent you. He contacted a buyer who was interested in my collection and we were able to make a deal. Again, unless you have the old stuff, it is not going to be much money. I had to put all 200+ totes and boxes is a 26' U-Haul and deliver them to central Indiana. My collection was all newer cars and general merchandise 1997 and up. Even though it was semi-massive it was not worth the money to deal with it.

Wylie might be a good resource for the train collection also.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    Big Frank 25 likes this.