My spray booth

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by mbirdsley, Jan 9, 2018.

1. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

So this is my latest project. I have some gun related projects coming. Mainly stripping and repainting my triumph reciever and restoring a a old 1936 wards and western single shot .22 ( actually a rebadged mossberg 26c. I may finally buy a air brush to paint jigs to and will give me a nice spot to do it. It’s is Pretty much all done just minor things like caulk, lights, hooking it up to the stack in the garage, and paint( prolly wait for spring). So far it has only cost me about 25 bucks out of pocket. The fan I bought with a gift card, the floor vent was 8 bucks and 2 2x4’s. The ply wood I salvaged from a marposse crate that our digital gagging system came in from work. The other smaller diameter wood I had laying around. ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1515556121.845155.jpg ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1515556046.701007.jpg ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1515556059.285818.jpg ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1515556072.037743.jpg ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1515556086.190123.jpg

jr28schalm, sullyxlh and petronius like this.
  2. DennisDW

DennisDW

Don't you like paint (overspray) all over everything else in your workshop?:) Great idea and looks good!

3. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

Thanks
    I mean I don’t really care but, the wife does not appreciate it. I mean it is just another layer of protection right?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  4. DennisDW

DennisDW

Yep. That is my thought with overspray!

5. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1517447196.405268.jpg ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1517447210.425492.jpg

All painted up. This weekend I want to put some minwax spar polyurethane on it. Than all that is left is to hook up the led lights and hook it into the stack where the oil burner was.

6. DennisDW

DennisDW

Your missing this logo.

7. DennisDW

DennisDW

upload_2018-2-1_9-15-3.png
    Looks good.

Attached Files:

8. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

Yeah I could have out lined it in yellow. It is actually krylon emerald green. One thing I learned doing this is that paint bought at Walmart and the hardware are not the same. Walmart had the 25% more cans a 1.50 cheaper than ace. First three cans didn’t covered or spray worth crap. The 4 cans I bought at ace were smaller and more expensive but, covered/sprayed very well. Guess ya get what you pay for. I should have primed first. The cans said that the paint had primer in it. I had more in paint than anything else. Looks good though, almost didn’t paint it as the inside would have been painted eventually over time.

9. FowlWeather

FowlWeather Premium Member

That is a cool idea. Where will you vent the exhaust to, and will you pull it through a cheap filter to catch the wet paint?

PS- I have found that the Rustoleum 2X Ultra Cover paint is really good stuff for rapid coverage.

10. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

In my garage I have a old smoke stack for a oil burning stove. Insurance made us take it out. For filter media I am using a bulk strip of furnace material made from goat or something I bought at ace. I’ll cut strips and staple it in front of the vent. Only reason I went with the krylon is because it had primer in it. I used rustoleum 2x on my boat it turned out alright and did cover good.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  11. LabtechLewis

LabtechLewis

Does the fan have an explosion-proof motor? Should it?

12. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

No i doubt it. It is actually a booster fan I bought off eBay. It was marketed for people who grew medical marijuana to help either getting co2 out of growing area or oxygen into the area via duct work. I paid 25 bucks free shipping for it from California . It is called a terrabloom fan. All of the plans online never called for special fan like that.

13. LabtechLewis

LabtechLewis

Ok, sorry to stick my nose in. Just happened to notice the electricity + oil-based paint (guessing?) + combustible material of construction and was compelled to ask.

Nice work! Looks good.

14. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1519953452.116461.jpg ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1519953467.096588.jpg

The spray booth is officially done done!!!!.

Now I can start refinishing the reciever on my t/c triumph bonecollector 50 cal. Also I’ll be mounting and diamond back vortex 3-10.5 scope on it. I am using dura coat hunter green for the reciever.