My first steely on my 1st pin

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by eggfly, Dec 2, 2013.

1. eggfly

eggfly

I finally decided to bite the bullet and purchase my first pin reel and I was not disappointed. I have been considering this for about 10 years but the price has kept me from buying one in the past. Doing a lot of reading I finally decided that the Raven Matrix XL was in my price range. I spent about a week in my backyard learning to cast and only had to cut my line once to my surprise. On my second trip to the river I managed to go 1 for 1 with a nice little steely. My fishing buddy and I spoke to a number of other fishermen and 1 person that managed a fish. Needless to say I’m hooked and can’t wait for my next trip out. Sorry no picture.

2. Jfish

Jfish

Congrats and welcome to the pinners brain.

3. Robert Holmes

Robert Holmes

Congrats on the chrome. I still have not switched there DJ don't know if I ever will. I like my spinning rods.:lol::lol:

4. redneckman

redneckman

Congratulations on the steel! I bought my first pin this fall. Drifting floats for steel is a blast and is a lot of fun with a pin. It is the only way I want to fish for steelhead. Just wait until you hook a king and it busts your knuckles!;)

Sent from my C771 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

5. wyandot

wyandot

I took the plunge recently myself. Built a rod over the summer and stayed in the back yard out of sight until deer season!!! I haven't thrown out my drift rods or my spinning float rod yet, but I'm having a ball with the pin!!!

6. gotoith

gotoith

You did the right thing by practicing in the back yard for several months. I have not perfected the Wallis cast and sometimes find myself casting the line off the side of the spool because I need distance in my casts. I also decided to only fish my pin at the expense of less fish and shorter casts.

The pin is superior to a spinning reel I am finding and can even be fished upstream, if needed.

In close, I am trying to master a right hand cast. Depending on where you fish, you need to be able to cast with either arm. This is no easy task for me and it is the only reason I carry a spinning rod.

Posted from Michigan-sportsman.com App for Android