My first Shiawassee duck

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by fsamie1, Nov 23, 2020.

1. BumpRacerX

BumpRacerX

The most impactful lesson from trying to learn the managed areas the last two years-

If you don't want to be down winded...take the down wind zone. One less part of the equation to worry about.

Highball28 and Shiawassee_Kid like this.
  2. fsamie1

fsamie1 Premium Member

But, I hunted managed area for 30 years, Many occasions, ducks want to be at certain zone and there is nothing you can do to make them to come to neighboring zone. They probably eat there the night before and that is the zone they want to go to. one can upwind the hot zone in high wind and shoot at ducks decoying to hot zone. It is not the right thing to do if you shoot at every decoying duck but if you just shoot at ducks in the range, it is probably ok since the hot zone still gets most of the action. I did it some times and shot at a duck for every 3-4 ducks they shot at.

BumpRacerX likes this.

3. Shiawassee_Kid

Shiawassee_Kid

downwinding means a couple things here.

what you are referring to is what we call *uckhunting. you can hunt backsides, with face in wind...and shoot limits of decoying birds. I've done it many times...and will continue to do it if situation presents itself.

most people don't understand the term downwinding/backsiding and just setup wrong side and pass shoot everything inside 70 yards.....thats *uckhunting....two completely different techniques. But never just assume hunting the backside is bad...because its not...its just the *uckhunters doing it that give it a bad name.

Carpenter Bill likes this.
  4. Shiawassee_Kid

Shiawassee_Kid

at shiawassee as an example. if you have field 34 (hot field) and you get a 30 mph north wind. 35 just became the hot field. if you choose 34 out of "well that field is hot"...you will be sorely disappointed when 35 sets up on the cut (like he should) and smokes 24 birds without you firing your gun. That is legit "downwinding"....and everyone bitches at "locals" for knowing 35 was gonna be hot that day when its merely understanding how the wind works and field choices. lol

hunter draws first, takes 34, another hunter draws 12th takes 35... bad draw = big win. :p

Carpenter Bill and BumpRacerX like this.
  5. Jerry Lamb

Jerry Lamb

Exactly what he said. No one ever knows such information unless one makes a commitment to study and learn. Downwind on cranker days is always the rule...

BumpRacerX likes this.
  6. fall ducks

fall ducks

Right on

7. Blacklabsmatter

Blacklabsmatter

My least favorite part of hunting the managed areas is when your sky busting neighbor hunts with the wind in their face blasting at any birds with their wings cupped. Finding probably 25% of their crippled birds. People need to remember to hide well and let the birds work. It’s a lot more fun to shoot birds over the decoys than sailing them into the buffer zones.

8. fsamie1

fsamie1 Premium Member

Shiawassee zone are pretty large. for example zone 34 is 3 football field long. So, if 35 sets up near the cut point O below, 34 should set up near point X at north end of 34.

upload_2020-11-24_19-29-45.png

On the other hand, Harsens zones are closer. 150 yards between 22 and 23 zones. So if 23 is hot and sets up at O and 22 sets up at X which is the wrong side, He can shoot at decoying ducks to 23. Again if one does not shoot at every decoying duck, 23 still will do good.
    upload_2020-11-24_19-39-56.png

Blacklabsmatter likes this.
  9. BumpRacerX

BumpRacerX

When is the next Shiawassee run Fsamie?

There needs to be an M-S takeover trip one of these days.

10. Blacklabsmatter

Blacklabsmatter

I just had this happen to me on Sunday in 22 at Harsens. Neighbors shot at everything they saw. I was trying to get a kid his first duck ever. Slobs will be slobs.

Bigeejakes likes this.
  11. BumpRacerX

BumpRacerX

Yes. If 34 sets up wrong and 35 sets up at the cut on a stiff north wind...34 is screwed. Made this mistake the very first trip playing Bingo last year. Won't make that one again.

Shiawassee_Kid likes this.
  12. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

The zones at Muskegon are usually two zones per 1/2 MILE circular field. Yes, 1/2 mile. You have like 63 acres of zone.

I can't recall ever shooting swing birds at MWW. They have plenty of room to work without getting popped.

And sometimes you wait to see where your neighbors set up before you do.

And sometimes you do every thing right and the guy that hasn't scouted and picks some random zone out hunts you.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    Blacklabsmatter likes this.
  13. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

If someone wanted a once in a lifetime hunt at Muskegon, they would not have burned it sight unseen, on that day, in that zone. It was obvious from what they picked they hadn't scouted or asked any questions.

They could have saved that ticket, sent me a pm here, and I'd put them on birds.

14. fsamie1

fsamie1 Premium Member

Planning for this Friday. Tomorrow will be raining and I do not like to get my hair wet.:D

Tavor and natureboy2534 like this.
  15. fsamie1

fsamie1 Premium Member

Harsens has been so sad and it is getting worse. Most just shoot at every flyby 50-70 yards. I do not think they have ever seen a decoying duck with feet hanging.