My first Shiawassee duck

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by fsamie1, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

We burned ours at Harsens many years ago. 19 birds shot that night. We killed nine of them.

Two people burned them in the split at Fennville a couple years ago on a fay where five birds were killed. If you include the two poached swans.

BumpRacerX likes this.
  2. fsamie1

fsamie1 Premium Member

Long day, 2:30 am got home at 8:30 pm. That is 18 hours, ouch. They didn't fly for me in afternoon. Had to stand up most of the time because water was over my camping seat with back support. Nothing major flying in my area. I need a new hobby that is half as much fun. I envy my cats, nap all day, groom themselves, eat, use cat box, more naps. What a good life. Here is one of them Shosho. Must be an easier way to go duck hunting. 20201123_210910.jpg

jumbojake, BumpRacerX and waggleduck like this.

3. Shiawassee_Kid

Shiawassee_Kid

if i had that golden ticket, i woulda burned it on that last sunday with the 40mph winds and storms. i drew good that day luckily but if i had 1st pick it woulda been lights out.

Hammertime989, BumpRacerX and Rgrinny like this.
  4. Bigeejakes

Bigeejakes

Yea, I remember a really good golden ticket use... Awesome weather on a weekend when everyone knew it was the day... I feel like there was 80+ parties (on a normal year) in November.

That's the way to do it :)

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

BumpRacerX likes this.
  5. cvg3

cvg3

We didn’t have the golden ticket but still had a good day, even got a couple of those big bonus birds.

Attached Files:

6. natureboy2534

natureboy2534

Won it the first year they ran the WW challenge in 2012 used mine for HI cause of the 200 mile drive round trip. That is just make sense to me. Picked the worst weather for our day and made the best out of it..Had to do some scouting before hand to find the best option for us.. 2020-11-24 08.48.27.jpg

jumbojake and BumpRacerX like this.
  7. fsamie1

fsamie1 Premium Member

I did not have the golden ticket. I was 20th out of 35 and did not get Prior road zone. Had a few less than 5 flying in my area and other parties did not hunt in the morning and all showed up in the afternoon and nothing flew in the afternoon in my area. just my worst year in the draw and ducks flying.

BumpRacerX likes this.
  8. propbuster

propbuster

My son used his Ticket at FP this year, the 1st day that it could be used there. 23 birds taken home. Great hunt was had.

9. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

Saw one burned at Muskegon on a pm hunt with 7 parties. They thought they had it. We drew last undercut the flight path and gave them a show to watch.

If you want to avoid getting down winded sometimes you gotta downwind yourself.

10. Bigeejakes

Bigeejakes

So you ruined a once in a lifetime hunt for someone who may have never goose hunted, and may never have hunted MWW... Or ever heard of down winding someone.

Honestly I feel that "down winding" someone ... Which I have had "done" to me is the lowest scum and worse than someone taking a high shot every now and then (random skybuster).

When someone purposely sets up on swing birds, and pops them as they're working your field, there is nothing that is worse or more selfish at a managed area... If a group had the hot zone, and they're letting birds work - don't ruin their hunt by setting up on the backside (wind in your face), without decoys and take pass shots - even if- they're within range .. it's busch league.

Now, if you set up on the correct side of the field (wind to your back) and you're shooting birds that are working your field, or that happen to come by to take a look, that's great!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  11. Highball28

Highball28

Yeah and THEY were the ones that shot the swans

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Far Beyond Driven likes this.
  12. Highball28

Highball28

Name of the game. Real question is why would you burn a golden ticket with 7 parties

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

BumpRacerX likes this.
  13. Bigeejakes

Bigeejakes

Just tells me they're not regulars to managed areas, and is someone we should be encouraging to get into the sport... Probably a day they took off from work and had a buddy who could come.

Hammertime989 likes this.
  14. goosehunter31

goosehunter31

I don’t get it so what is he supposed to go home or not shoot decoying birds? I’m sure they took off work as well to hunt. Always play the wind, have been burned myself by not taking a higher strip the way the wind was blowing. Live and learn that’s all I can say.

BumpRacerX likes this.
  15. Bigeejakes

Bigeejakes

All depends on how they hunted it... I know at MWW there's a ton of space... And he likely meant by his post that they just knew they got the better field, allowing the geese to see them first and decoy to them first.... I have No problem with that.

However in the flooded fields, down-winding someone has a different meaning for me (and those I hunt with). For me it refers to someone who purposely takes the down-wind field with the purpose of shooting birds that are working a near-by field, on the down-wind swing. If you haven't had it happen to you, you haven't hunted managed areas long enough. You learn to play the games... Slide down so that the birds don't fly over them etc... But ultimately it leads to everyone taking higher shots because birds aren't able to make their final swings to decoy.