My first double

Discussion in 'Upland Game hunting, Dogs and dog training' started by Mark4486, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Mark4486

Mark4486

C1C9096B-8716-434E-949A-E236F8B2FC20.jpeg
    got my first double. Took my girlfriend up for the weekend for a little hunting and camping. Louie put up a group of three. First went right... bottom barrel claimed it. Second went left... let the top barrel ride but didn’t see it drop. Then one took off right down the middle as I frantically reloaded. Louie retrieved the first. Then was acting crazy were the second would’ve fell but I pulled him off to go look for the one that flew down the middle. Couldn’t get a reflush. So on the way back he was going crazy again in the same spot circling so I let him do his thing all the while having an itchy trigger finger. Then boom it popped up 6inches off the ground with a broken wing. Louie grabbed it and brought it while it was still whipping around. I put it down and realized that I had gotten a double. I was ecstatic. My girlfriend didn’t quite get it as I did. I finished the weekend with 9other flushes some wild and some where running birds Louie tracked down. He Is 5 now and he is really on his game. I shot one more large adult female on Friday she crossed hard then turned down the trail I was walking on easiest shot I ever had on a grouse. I had a very lucky weekend. Hope all of you did aswell.

2. birdhntr

birdhntr

I will never say anything about the modified butt plate again!!!
    Congrats!!

Mark4486 likes this.

3. michiganmaniac

michiganmaniac

With a sharpshooter like you the only thing that surprises me is that it took you this long. Congratulations!

Mark4486 likes this.
  4. Mark4486

Mark4486

It ain’t easy with a beagle. Lots of wild flushes and once in a while he goes for a rabbit run. I wouldn’t suggest to anyone to use a rabbit dog for birds but I have learned the hard way how to hunt hard and shoot fast.

5. skidoojc

skidoojc

Detroit life taught you well.

fivegunner and Mark4486 like this.
  6. Mark4486

Mark4486

At bird camp I show you what else I learned from Detroit life.... lol

7. shotgun12

shotgun12

good for you well done.

Mark4486 likes this.
  8. AmericanRepeater

AmericanRepeater

That’s great! Enjoy the moment. Some hunters get doubles fairly often. I’ve gotten two in my life...39 years apart. My Dad saw me get the first one when I was 14 and said it may be a while before it happens again. As usual, he was right.

Mark4486 likes this.
  9. wpmisport

wpmisport

Man, a beagle that retrieves birds. Your a lucky man, good shooting.

10. skidoojc

skidoojc

Sweet, my windshield could use a good washing.

11. Mark4486

Mark4486

That’s great

12. Mark4486

Mark4486

Yes I started him with tennis balls. Gave treats and positive reinforcement. Then I moved to a frozen grouse I use for sent training. I throw the frozen bird like a football then let the dog out of the house. I throw it so he doesn’t cheat and smell for my foot prints in grass. Then when he finds it he brings it back.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
    Stand By and plugger like this.
  13. Mark4486

Mark4486

here is a video of his training from last year. He also retrieves rabbits which is awesome cause some rabbits keep running after being shot. He’s not bad at dispatching them (birds/rabbits) Either.

Stand By, Harol, Nostromo and 3 others like this.
  14. St. Clair Slayer

St. Clair Slayer

That is one sexy beagle!!

15. Stand By

Stand By

Ha! I just spit my beer. I was totally on another spectrum. Gonna ask if I needed to hit the bank for a stack of $5.

skidoojc likes this.