close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My Ausable river boat build

Discussion in 'FlyTyingForums.com, Fly Tying, Trout Fishing' started by brushbuster, Jul 21, 2011.

1. brushbuster

brushbuster

I have been wanting to build a river boat for quite a few years now so i decided to do one stripper style. Right now i just have the a few strips on the mold.
    I have traced the bottom and sidewall of a freinds 20 footer and then revised it to suit my needs then i faired up the lines and plotted the points and now i have a buch of forms with a few strips. I hope to have her done by fall.
    Here is a few pics of the start.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. tommytubular

tommytubular

Thats a labor intensive project... Not sure I would have the patience to build one.

Looking forward to the updates....

3. troutchops

troutchops

Looks like it will be a fun project.

4. brushbuster

brushbuster

Yup I actually started this project last spring with the drawings and then the ripping and milling of the strips. I built a canoe 2 years ago and was hooked with the strip boat method. I have a few kayaks that i want to do next along with a plywood drifter.:dizzy:

5. woodie slayer

woodie slayer

what are you going to use for ribbing?? cedar??

6. brushbuster

brushbuster

I have a bunch of 4/4 cherry that i thought about using for the gunnels, ribs, and possibly the decks. MY transom is made out of poplar so the rest of the trim might be done in that also i havent quite made up my mind. At first i thought it might be nice to make it light enough to be a car topper but i think by the time i end up i'm going to have to trailer it so weight isnt going to be that much of an issue.

7. Boozer

Boozer

That is awesome! Please keep us updated with photos!

8. Northwoods Addict

Northwoods Addict Premium Member

Awesome job Brushbuster! I've been thinking about this myself. Could you lead to a place for plans and or the template plans? Thanks for posting the pictures and hope to meet you sometime around Grayling!

9. brushbuster

brushbuster

I am getting ready to post some more pics of what i have completed so far. Maybe tonight
    Right now the sides are stripped up to the bottom of the boat. The ribs are cut up planed. the gunnels are cut and planed along with the deck and seat material.
    Plans? There arent any plans for this boat as far as i know. Most of the builders around here have a template for the bottom and sides. And this info is primarily in their heads. I am working on compiling what i have into a plan or at least give dimmensions to each form station. and a few specs. But i dont have that info available right now. Its pretty basic though. basically a 20 foot boat with a 10 foot straight and flat middle that has a 30 inch bottom and is 38 inches at the beam, (gunnels) and tapers to 0 at the bow and 7 inches at the stern. The sides are 12 inches high which run straight in the middle for 10 feet with a 5 inch rocker on the bow end and 6 inch rocker on the stern end. i am going to explain a little more when i post up a diagram and some specs in the future. It realy is a fun project so far for me. I havent done much this wekend as i have been following the marathon all weekend.

10. brushbuster

brushbuster

Welp, the side walls are stripped up. I'm just getting started on the bottom strips. While the glue is drying for each strip i will start fairing the sides and install the outer stem. So far so good and no problems.:) I just got my fiber glass coth and graphite in teh mail today so i cant wait to be able to glass.

Got clamps?
    I ran out of clamps and then broke out the packaging tape. worked like a charm
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. kroppe

kroppe

Very, very impressive.

12. ih772

ih772

That's really cool.

13. Ausable Junkie

Ausable Junkie

Very nice looking lines so far!

My project is a canoe, but the build principle is the same.

Have you thought about doing any inlays or "iron on" desings into the hull?

My brother-in-law suggested using the "West System" for the resin part of my build. The liquid soap-type dispensing system gives you an easy way to keep the correct ratio of resin-to-hardener and lets you choose the size of the resin batch you want to deal with at one time. If its 5:2 you need (example) then you just push the plunger down on the resin jug 5 times, and 2 times on the hardener and you have the correct mix.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  14. brushbuster

brushbuster

In one of my pics you can see my canoe i built through the window.
    West system is all i use. It works great and is very user freindly. You just have to make sure the pumps are primed and keep an eye on the cans, when they are close to empty i change cans. Once the pumps lose prime your batch gets ruined.
    I dont think i am going to do any wood burnings or other inlays.

15. brushbuster

brushbuster

Well she's all stripped, faired and sanded. i was going to start the glassing this weekend but i ran into a snag. My roof leaks.:(. So i spent the day ripping out shingles, replacing rotted wood.and putting shingles back on. Dang it. Ill post some pics of her in a few days.