My Alaska black bear hunt 2021

Discussion in 'Out of state hunts' started by brushbuster, Nov 2, 2020.

1. brushbuster

brushbuster Premium Member

Got my new gun/ bow case this week and inflatable kayak in, looks like we will get it down to 2 check in bags and 1 carry on each. Now we wait. IMG_20210112_193356373.jpg IMG_20210113_195709122.jpg

2. shaffe48b

shaffe48b

Well given where you are going and your experience you might top this six foot hide I just got back from 16b in August.

I might try getting dropped off in a shallow bay of the sound sometime. But I'm not sure if it would be easier just to walk around the beach instead of renting a packraft. Have you actually done this before?

3. shaffe48b

shaffe48b

Forgot pic

Attached Files:

brushbuster likes this.
  4. brushbuster

The kayak is for transportation in case we need it, but I plan on a lot of boot time. First time doing a coastal bear hunt. I almost bought a raft and rented a motor, but the kayak is just simpler.

The waterway I picked is pretty narrow and secluded and affected alot by the tide. Basically I picked a spot on a map that is as far away from roads towns, villages that I could possibly get and tide zones that will hopefully keep the bigger guide boats out of. We will be searching for a 6-7 foot bear.

5. brushbuster

The kayak isn't a pakraft. It's an inflatable ocean kayak. I'm leaving my pakraft at home.

shaffe48b likes this.
  6. shaffe48b

shaffe48b

Have you ever tried just walking along the beach during low tide?

7. brushbuster

Ye
    Yes many times. I lived in Valdez for a summer. Also spent time on Kodiak and Ketchikan. Not bear hunting though.

Waif likes this.
  8. brushbuster

Hope to get a little clam digging in. Love me some fried clams
    IMG_20210110_095045946.jpg 16111079663618237725031702973521.jpg Going to be camped right next to a creek with steelhead runs, dollies and cutthroats. Should be a blast

Hunter1979 and shaffe48b like this.
  9. dhosera

dhosera

That sounds like a pretty epic trip Brush. Goodluck.....I'll be following along and certainly looking for a report upon your successful return. Those AK Steelies are the real deal. I beat up on them good here in Michigan but they are a whole different animal in AK. I'd be almost just as interested in the Steel as the Bears! I'll give ya a tip my guide buddy told be that let me finally best my 1st wild AK steel, Big beads 10m and 12m;)

10. brushbuster

Yup that's what I hear, big beads is the ticket. Bear hunting was the draw to this Island but durring research I discovered a gem of a creek that has a strong run of wild SH. I'm really quite excited about this, my timing should be perfect.

shaffe48b likes this.
  11. brushbuster

I thought about applying again this November and if drawn I would do a fall hunt for the silver run, if it pans out this spring I may just do a spring hunt again only 2 weeks this time dedicating a week to just fishing.