My 2nd deer kill using my Ten Point Turbo GT crossbow

Discussion in 'General Michigan Hunting' started by dpretired, Oct 29, 2020.

1. dpretired

dpretired

Had to give up on using compound bows right around the time I retired from GM/Delphi in 2006. Just got too difficult to pull them back as old age set in. So I quit bow hunting and stuck to gun hunting for the next several years. But I eventually missed being out in the woods chasing deer in October and early November enough to finally break down and buy me a crossbow. Now at age 71 I am thoroughly enjoying the fall months once again just as I did when I was much younger. A few years ago when I first got this crossbow I was able to shoot a doe coming in to a bait pile since it was before the baiting ban. The next year I had extensive shoulder surgery which took me a year and a half to heal up from, so bow hunting was out. By this fall though I felt good enough to get back in the game but my deer sightings have been very few and far between ever since the opener. But today, it all changed for the better.

I decided to sit in my ladder stand on a buddy's farm during the last couple of hours of daylight, not really expecting to see anything today either, just mostly because it was such a nice day. About fifteen minutes before dark I see a nice buck coming and he's going to cross in front of me about 45 yards out. I picked him up in the scope and just before he was straight out in front of me, I swung the 40 yard crosshairs out in front of him and let him walk right into them. As soon as his shoulder was centered in the crosshairs, I fired, heard a loud "WAP!" and watched him run about seventy yards before he stopped for a long lookaround. I was hoping he would just tip over right then and there, but as it turned out, he didn't. Within a few minutes it got too dark to see what he did next so I decided to just quietly climb down, walk back and drop my bow and other stuff off at the van, grab my deer cleaning stuff and head back out there. Wasn't hardly any blood on the ground, just a few small spots, so I decided to make a phone call to enlist some neighborly help to find him. Fortunately for me, one of my helpers found him within the next half hour piled up in some high weeds. Actually, he wasn't very far from where I last saw him standing, about fifteen or twenty yards. A nice, fat seven pointer. You can see the entrance wound from my 100 gr. Magnum Slick Trick broadhead in the picture. It flew straight as a field point and hit right where I aimed. Gotta love those crossbows!

HUNTING Oct 2020 crossbow buck.jpg

2. Jeffish74

Jeffish74

No doubt that he ate better than a cow! Congratulations on making a great shot.

3. William H Bonney

William H Bonney

Kinda looks like that deer ATE the farmers cow, geez!

Nice deer, dpretired! BTW, you were great in Total Recall & Top Gun.

4. snortwheeze

snortwheeze

CONGRATS, great buck. I'm not a fan of crossbows I'll wait until gun until I'm ready for a scope but in your circumstance it's very good to get ya back in the game ! I'm sure some day I'll have to make the switch and I'll be glad it's available to use.

Jeffish74 likes this.
  5. stickman1978

stickman1978

Nice buck, congrats. Looks like you could use an extra fishing net also.

Sprytle and Richard Cranium like this.
  6. walleyeguy54

walleyeguy54

Congrats on a great season!

7. big buck 75

big buck 75

Good shot and nice deer.

8. Bucman

Bucman

Not a fan of those who cant just congratulate a guy with out a dig!!

9. pike man

pike man

Congratulations on a Nice Buck !

10. solo hunter

solo hunter

Nice buck hats off to you

11. deepwoods

deepwoods

That is a fatty. Congrats.

12. wmmichael20

wmmichael20

He was definitely a healthy feller wasn't he. Congratulations.

13. Badfishmi

Badfishmi

Look at that huge guy!! Congrats!! I agree you need another net !!

Richard Cranium likes this.
  14. phantom cls

phantom cls Premium Member

congrats on a nice deer, talk about a fatty!

15. Sprytle

Sprytle Premium Member

Congrats! Good buck and a great shot!