close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My 2017 Adventure Hunts

Discussion in 'Out of state hunts' started by Huntmaster143, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Huntmaster143

Huntmaster143

Went to Cabela's a few days ago, to grab a second rangefinder so my guide had one in case I couldn't get to mine and came out with some extra glass.

[​IMG]

Finished off building a dozen arrows and a couple refletches as well. Almost ready to pack everything up!

[​IMG]

QDMAMAN and WMU05 like this.
  2. QDMAMAN

QDMAMAN Premium Member

3. Huntmaster143

Huntmaster143

Bargain cave, Cabela's Points and an impulse buy will get you everytime!

QDMAMAN likes this.
  4. Huntmaster143

Huntmaster143

[​IMG]

The packing process has begun! A little over a week and I'll be on a plane heading to the NWT! Almost doesn't seem real!

QDMAMAN and brushbuster like this.
  5. WMU05

WMU05

You're a walking KUIU commercial!

6. shanny28757

shanny28757

So much verde and vias....

I don't think I've bought a piece of kuiu I didn't love. Attack pants. Gators. Peloton. Hooded merino 210. Bino harness. It's all great.

7. Huntmaster143

Huntmaster143

[​IMG]

Oh, and look what showed up just in time!! Arrived this am at my office. I've never used one before, but guys say they can be really handy on this type of hunt, so I figured I'd try one out.

8. Huntmaster143

Huntmaster143

Every piece of gear I have bought has been solid! No complaints!

Not to say the other gear companies make lesser gear, but for the money when purchased on sale or discount KUIU can't be beat IMO.

9. shanny28757

shanny28757

Agreed!!

Huntmaster143 likes this.
  10. Huntmaster143

Huntmaster143

With my departure now only a week away, I'm in packing and shooting mode and training isn't high on my list, but it never hurts.

I was at our family property over the weekend for my Dad's retirement party and everyone was sitting around re-hydrating and stuffing their face Saturday morning following a Friday night of to much alcohol. While sitting there content on doing the same, I saw Tony's running post on FB and decided I'd try out my new Merrell barefoot running shoes that I had just put on.

Now most of the normal followers here know how I despise running, but I had these new shoes and a sudden desire to work out. So I stood up and took off making laps around the lake with a goal to run for 30 minutes. After the first mile, my goal was to maintain a 9 minute pace throughout the full duration if I felt like I could. Missed that goal by 2 seconds, but not bad for not running in a very long time.

I will say that it's funny how my legs feel great the day after carrying a 75# pack on my climbing workouts, but two days later, my legs still are sore from running. Just certain muscles that don't get used in my other workouts.

Screenshot_20170715-105244.png Screenshot_20170715-105530.png

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017 at 11:40 AM
    QDMAMAN likes this.
  11. Huntmaster143

Huntmaster143

Screenshot_20170717-102407.jpg

Speaking of the Merrell's... I am not a fan of Croc's, but they are light weight and can be used during stream crossings on mountain hunts and also work fine around camp to let your feet rest from your boots. Because of that, lot's of backcountry hunters hook them to their pack and bring them along. Since I'm not a fan and after reading some posts on a sheep group on FB that discussed using barefoot trail runners instead of Croc's, that thread peaked my interest. After doing some more research on them, I decided I was going to buy a pair for this hunt as they are actually lighter than my current Croc's I have.

I think I like this concept much better. I can wear them while I travel, use them for stream crossings, use in camp, use them on the final approach for a shot, and if I had a catastrophic boot failure, I could use them in a pinch to get off the mountain.

Mine are the Trail Glove 4

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017 at 12:12 PM
    QDMAMAN likes this.
  12. QDMAMAN

QDMAMAN Premium Member

Scott when I was participating in triathlons I used elastic laces for quicker transition time. They work really good and don't come untied. They would work great for quick on/off at river crossings, in camp, or when dropping your boots.
    https://www.amazon.com/AKTIVX-SPORT...500307287&sr=8-10&keywords=elastic+shoe+laces

Huntmaster143 likes this.
  13. Huntmaster143

Huntmaster143

Just ordered a pair, they show up Wednesday...

QDMAMAN likes this.
  14. Huntmaster143

Huntmaster143

I spent two hours today in a meeting with my brother trying to figure out if we are going to drive to BC for our moose hunt or fly. I told him that we had to decide before I left for my first trip to make sure we had a deadline. So with 114 hours until my departure, we decided to fly.

As much as I wanted to drive (ease of bringing meat and trophies home), 46 hours of driving each way was a bit much to tackle with the rest of our schedules. If I wouldn't have had my shiras hunt, it wouldn't have been a discussion. So with that done, I just spent another hour after that lining up flights and hotel rooms for the travel.

Either way, everything is booked and for the fun of it I have the driving map that I charted out for our drive with stops for hotels and gas...

Driving Map.png

15. QDMAMAN

QDMAMAN Premium Member

Hotels?!?!?!? You getting soft?