close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My 2017 Adventure Hunts

Discussion in 'Out of state hunts' started by Huntmaster143, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Huntmaster143

Huntmaster143

After calling in this spot for an hour or so, Tim and I aren’t to keen on staying put, so we convince Craig to grab the horses, move to another glassing point and call some more. This produces the same luck as the last spot. As it approaches 3pm, we now have to load up and ride back towards camp. We arrive back in camp just before dark, but not without a bit of excitement as we all get a pretty good bath crossing the river. This time our horses were swimming and we were doing everything we could to keep our feet above water. Other than that excitement, the ride back is a somber one, but the views are always great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hk_sl8, hawgeye, LumberJ and 2 others like this.
  2. Huntmaster143

Huntmaster143

It’s not the greatest sunset pic, but it does bring closure to another great adventure! Some trips are fast and furious, while some don’t go exactly as you bargained for, but at the end of the day, you have to enjoy the journey.

[​IMG]

hk_sl8, 4everWild, hawgeye and 4 others like this.

3. dpweurding

dpweurding

Awesome story and pictures. Thanks for taking the time. I am impressed at the peace you had with having to leave that bull moose on the last day. I'd have done something similar to what you considered, jumping off the horse and making a beeline!

Huntmaster143, Bomba and Waif like this.
  4. WMU05

WMU05

Great story again Scott. Thanks for taking the time to put it all up. But man, I gotta tell ya, I was getting the impatient shakes just sitting in my living room with all the camp and "commuting" time you were putting in.

Huntmaster143 likes this.
  5. hawgeye

hawgeye

Wow great story, what a hunt. That last day must have killed you not chasing the moose! Thanks for the great write up and incredible pics.

6. 4everWild

4everWild

Those are amazing hunts on some beautiful animals . Thanks for sharing

7. Forest Meister

Forest Meister

:yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat:

8. Huntmaster143

Huntmaster143

Some of the down time, camp time and commuting time is warranted and a part of the hunt, but not as much as we did. Some of this was my fault for loosing focus and picking up the sheep tag. I let my long term goals get in the way of what our original goals for the hunt were.

With that said, I probably didn't push them enough based on what our deal was supposed to be. Keep in mind that this was not a 2 on 1 hunt, we were supposed to hunt apart during the day and then meet back up at camp each evening. Putting an archery guy and a rifle guy on a 2 on 1 hunt is down right dumb. If Tim was anyone other than my brother, I would have been furious about the last 5 days.

I will chat a bit with the outfitter this week in Reno. No real agenda, just air out a few of my concerns and then have a discussion from there.

hk_sl8, hawgeye and Forest Meister like this.
  9. hk_sl8

hk_sl8

Spent the last two nights reading this entire thread. So thoroughly enjoyed "riding along with you" on these hunts, Scott. Thanks for all the effort you put in documenting and recounting the tales. The highs and lows of the season of a lifetime in some amazing locations.

All the best in 2018.

10. steelyspeed

steelyspeed

Glad you were still able to enjoy the adventure with your brother!
    Is the outfitter offering a discount if you come back?

11. Huntmaster143

Huntmaster143

Yeah, we had a great time and it was cool to watch him shoot his elk thru the scope.

I'll chat with them some more this week at the Sheep Show in Reno. I fly out tomorrow afternoon to talk with outfitters for 2019...

QDMAMAN likes this.
  12. steelyspeed

steelyspeed

Can’t wait to hear how that goes! Exclusive stone sheep hunt in the future?!?!

13. Splitter

Splitter

Once again thank you for taking the time to document and share your adventure. I’ll admit that I read the last several days with some building frustration about the lack of effort from your guides. Bravo for having such a generous outlook, I fear my attitude would have been far worse had I invested in such a trip encountered the same situation.

Huntmaster143 and WMU05 like this.
  14. Huntmaster143

Huntmaster143

I've made it back home from the Sheep Show and have solidified a couple future hunts! Sorry, no stone hunt in ink, but I had a bunch of conversations in my two days there.

Also while there, KUIU released a video they did on hunting stone sheep. Just watched the entire thing and it is a great video! Not to mention they brought along a great hunting ambassador in Donald Trump Jr. who also makes a great shot!

It's 20+ minutes, but better than any hunting show you will watch on TV.

hawgeye likes this.
  15. steelyspeed

steelyspeed

Which hunts can we expect to hear about in the future ?!

It is so awesome to have our president’s son going on serious hunts like that!