Muzzlebreak question.

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by Bow hunter on a Mission, Aug 19, 2020.

1. johnIV

johnIV

I have a love hate relationship with brakes. The concussion blast from brakes is brutal. The relief from recoil is amazing. It's just a relationship I'll have to deal with. The 450 or 45 Raptor in my case aren't guns IMO that need one unless there light, short barreled model guns. My Raptor is a 23" HV barreled bolt gun that scoped, weighs around 13lbs. No brake and it's about like a heavy 308 to shoot. It's optional basically. My buddies Ruger American 450 BM weighs 7.75 lbs scoped. It's not so fun to shoot without.

2. Bobby072

Bobby072

LOL the brutal blast!
    Yea I hear ya on that. 7.75 is heavy for a Ranch he must have a anvil for a scope. They are like 5.5 unscoped.

3. johnIV

johnIV

Ya his scope is heavy. I know the package weighs over 7 but under 8. That's also loaded weight

4. Driven2tri24

Driven2tri24

The two I had were 6.5# with Leupold 3-9x40’s.
    My Savage Wolverine however is 8.5# with the same scope.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. Bobby072

Bobby072

Side topic but how do you like the wolverine? It seemed heavy enough to shoot pretty smooth recoil wise. Maybe more like the CV scout shoots, low recoil.

6. Driven2tri24

Driven2tri24

I like it, but my 14 year old has laid claim to it.
    I switch barrels back and forth with it’s original 450bm and a .308. The .308 has shot .65”@100 with 168 Amax factory loads. The 450 shoots everything I’ve tried in the .75-1.00” range. It is not finicky at all.
    My guess is the 1:24 twist, heavier profiled 18” barrel and Accustock.
    The only thing I dislike about the rifle is the AICS bottom metal and Mags.
    They feel “notchy” to me vs the standard Savage flush mount mags..
    The kid likes the tactical look and usually has the 10 round mag in it for looks.
    Recoil pad, LOP and comb adjustment is the icing on the cake for repeatable accuracy.
    Probably that along with the Vias Muzzle Brake that it came with which make it so shootable for my 135# 14 year old...even with 275tsx’s at 2200fps

johnIV likes this.
  7. Bobby072

Bobby072

Nice, sounds like you own a barrel vise, did not know you could swap out barrels on it like that.

8. Driven2tri24

Driven2tri24

Yep. I swap so much stuff around it’s funny. You can loctite a barrel nut once headspace is set and literally have a switch barrel gun. I normally use the 450 Wolverine for deer gun season and then screw on my .243 barrel for coyote season. I have a LOT of different barrels. I have 2 long actions which were passed down to me and I run everything from 30-06 down to .243 on them..They are stagger feed and the only 3 calibers I have never been able to run on them with smooth feeding have been 22-250 due to its weird case taper...and the 350/450 straightwalls because the stagger feed. If i were to convert them to center feed I could run all three of those cals too..I just like the 6 round capability of the stagger feed blind mags.
    As much as I like Savage 10/110’s, I may be the only one who actually prefers the Axis platform.
    IMHO it is the evolution of the 110 to the next level. Sone see them as a step down, I see then as a step up in accuracy potential due to improved recoil lug design and stiffer action.
    The 3 position safety isn’t of any value to me, but I know lots that like it.

9. Bobby072

Bobby072

So the same bolt works on all rounds? Or are their bases not the same but close enough to fire it? I have one of those Rifles that was built for multi barrels and they had you buy a different bolt for different calibers. I never bothered buying an extra barrel cause it meant redoing my scope etc.
    I think the concept failed because even though it sounded good they don't realize most hunters just want more GUNS not one gun that can act as 5.

10. Driven2tri24

Driven2tri24

Savage Bolt faces are swappable($20) but with the standard .473 bolt face...you can swap from the entire 308 as well as 30-06 cartridge families. If you want to go .223 or 204 Ruger you’ll need a smaller bolt face and about 15 mins. Same for Magnum calibers you go up a size of bolt face.
    I run all Small shank barrels and receivers...The o Es to stay away from are the Large shank barrels/receivers that came with the “WSM/WSSM” cartridges..
    I currently run .223, 243,25-06,270, 308, 30-06.350/450
    In addition u can run 260 Rem, 7-08,338 Fed, 35 whelen and much more....

11. Bobby072

Bobby072

You sure like trying things, almost like you are driven to try :)

12. Driven2tri24

Driven2tri24

I like to tinker and push capabilities of things including myself.
    The driven2tri is from my amateur athlete days running ultra marathons and Ironman triathlons..
    Was diagnosed with stage 3c Testicular and went through chemo at VA 3 hrs ago ending my chapter in endurance sports..lol

Now I just hunt/ fish with my kids and grandkids and play “amateur gunsmith/ballistician”....lol

13. Bobby072

Bobby072

You are an Iron man, to go through Chemo. I pray for you to beat it, hang in there.

Driven2tri24 likes this.