Muzzle Brake help/question

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by boomer_x7, Oct 30, 2011.

1. boomer_x7

boomer_x7

I have a 300 win mag. I am considering getting a brake put on. My hesitation is the noise. I use it for hunting. Would it be too loud with the brake for hunting?

2. bowhunter426

bowhunter426

I have a 300 win mag with a muzzle brake. I have shot it once deer hunting without ear plugs. My ears were ringing after the shot for several minutes. Ever since I wear ear plugs.

3. Nitro225Optimax

Nitro225Optimax

Yes. It will be more loud than your current setup. I have the BOSS on my 300winmag. I won't shoot it around my cabin anymore and when we had our old farm, the neighbors across the way complained and called the cops, although nothing could be done. They never complained about our 30-06s though.

I agree about the ringing in the ears after a shot while hunting but it is something I live with in moderation and would rather hear the game coming. I mean, I only shoot once or twice perhaps per gun season and while I am sure it isn't good for me, I'm sure it isn't as bad as on a regular basis.

4. jmoser

jmoser

I cannot see any reason at all for a muzzle brake on a hunting rifle [or any rifle for that matter.]

The incredible increase in noise makes them downright obnoxious. I work as Range Officer for my club and it is obvious without looking when somebody has a ported rifle on the line.

IMHO save your $$$ for something else [and save your ears in the meantime !]

5. Nitro225Optimax

Nitro225Optimax

I have the BOSS which does more than recoil reduction. The BOSS system actually does what they promise for tuning to the load instead of tuning the load to the rifle. I am able to shoot cheap Remington Core Lokt's (~$27/box give or take) and achieve sub MOA. I started with 2" groups @50yards and by the time I adjusted the BOSS system, I am shooting 3/4" groups at 100yards. Sure, I still get some stringing of rounds due to varying factory load pressures, but 3/4" with $27/box of ammo? I'll keep the BOSS. Some folks are paying over $40/box for 300winmag ammo and still can't do any better than my rifle can. I know other rifles are completely capable of shooting well without the BOSS system, but typically one has to find the ammo the rifle shoots best and then they are beholden to the price commanded for said box of ammo.

6. bowhunter426

bowhunter426

Browning makes a end for the boss that is not ported. you will get the same adjustment at the cost of more recoil.

7. Rustyaxecamp

Rustyaxecamp

Don't do it. Brakes suck. The noise is not worth the recoil reduction IMHO.

My Weatherby has on from the factory, I hate it. It has worn the thread protector since I shot it the first time without it.

Get yourself a lead sled of something similar for sighting in. You don't feel recoil when shooting at a critter..

If it indeed bothers you that much or makes you flonch, get another caliber.

8. PA BUCK 2

PA BUCK 2

I recently shot my buddies 338 RCM that he had ported. Holy moly was that thing loud. Sitting next to him spotting his shots was even worse- IMO.

9. sourdough44

sourdough44

Another good option is to shoot modest handloads when full power isn't called for.

10. boomer_x7

boomer_x7

i was looking at getting one to help with barrel jump mostly... Althouh less recoil is always good, specially from a tree stand.

From the responces i will probobly not get one then. Maybe add a little lead in the forearm or something... I havnt even done any tinkering yet, just wanted to know if the noise was horrible.

Thanks for the input guys!

11. Nitro225Optimax

Nitro225Optimax

I don't think, in my personal opinion, that adding the muzzle brake would reduce your "barrel jump" enough to justify the cost to you. I mean, it's a 300 winmag, they are a mean beast.

12. KLR

KLR

I had a 6 lb .300 WBY UL...it has a brake. The recoil isn't bad, but try as I might, I couldnt keep it off my forehead without it.

I wear electronic muffs when I hunt...its sad, I actually hear better with the muffs on. Probably because of all those thousands of rounds I sent down range without any protection :sad:

13. Nitro225Optimax

Nitro225Optimax

Posted via Mobile Device

14. Nitro225Optimax

Nitro225Optimax

Boomer, where are you located? If not too far, I could meet up with you and let you put a box of your ammo through my 300 to see for yourself what difference it makes if any. I travel the I75 corridor between Oakland County and Arenac county. I doubt you wil want to make any changes right now with the 15th so close.
    Posted via Mobile Device

15. bersh

bersh

Honestly, if the recoil bothers you that much get a .308 or 06 or .270. They are cheaper to shoot, kick less, are quieter, and there isn't an animal walking in North America that these three rounds won't quickly kill.