Musky Fishing the U.P

Discussion in 'Warm Water Fishing Inland UP Lakes' started by FredBearYooper, Feb 21, 2018.

1. FredBearYooper

FredBearYooper

Picking up an 18' Starcraft this week, looking to target Musky and big pike this year, not looking for spots, just general tips and areas. TIA

Smelt73 and Duke like this.
  2. Cable

Cable

Munuscong bay is a place I have always wanted to try as I heard there are big ones in there. For numbers the Tahq. River is a good place just no real size. I also love fishing the Cisco chain and in that area is also LVD. Chicagon and Emily are also close together.

carp assassin likes this.

3. shametamer

shametamer

big pike are had in little bay de noc..greenwood reservoir offers some nice size northerns..peavey pond is good for skis and pike..bond falls has some skis and pike..gratiot lake in keewenaw for pike..huron bay of lake superior for pike, lake michigamme and the way dam also have both..lake independence up at big bay throws a big pike on occasion and of course portage lake at houghton/hancock ,muskie are found in south manistique too.............between Cable and I we have about covered the best spots for each...lol ...smaller pike roam about every lake n river not a DESIGNATED trout lake/stream..you could even try deer lake basin..its catch n release,artificals only but some real bruiser pike roam there(they get fat on all the walleye you cant keep..lmao)my personal best there is a tad over 17 lbs> and if she still lives shes gotta be over 20 by now

4. Cable

Cable

Have you ever hit Munuscong and how did you like it?

5. piketroller

piketroller

I tried Munuscong Bay in 2015 during the July 4th week and had high expectations. But that year had a very abnormally cold spring and the water temp was still in the mid 50’s and there were very few weeds growing yet that made finding pike really hard. I think I only cleaned 3 or 4 keeper pike, but spent most of the second half of the week catching walleye just south of the Rock Cut. I’ve fished the Canadian side up there around St Joseph Island many years and the is usually the best time of year for numbers of pike. If I went back up there, I would recommend August as all the bug hatches should be done by then, nice weed beds will be in, and if the water temp in the bay get too high, heading just north up by the Rock Cut doesn’t get much warmer than 65 degrees with all the cold water coming out of superior. At least that’s what the weather bouy log says.

6. shametamer

shametamer

i chipped a prop or two..years back..so i shy away these days..best ski was a tad under legal, but plenty of perch n walleye..its where i was first introduced to the 'bayou boogie' lure its configuration and no lip were great with all the rock there

7. Forest Meister

Forest Meister

St. Mary's River has some huge pike, even early in the season, but just like anywhere else one has to learn the water. FM

8. Duke

Duke Habitual outdoorsman

Congrats on the boat! Not sure exactly what tips or areas you might be asking about, but one tip for muskies that might be different from other fish would be SPEED.

Trolling 3 - 6 mph will get more takers than going slower. When casting, this means you’ll want to really get after it. So be prepared for a workout including having heavy duty gear. Erratic jerkbait action is also key, in addition to speed. Wild side-to-side action and fast twitch stop-go retrieves are way better than slow and steady.

Best areas to concentrate on are thick cabbage beds, the closer to deep water the better. St Mary’s often has muddy water as you know, so the fish can hold pretty shallow 6-8’ even midday. Muskies are more light sensitive than pike, dusk is definitely best for them and overcast & choppy days are better than flat & sunny.

9. bigberniegb

bigberniegb

Is there a special license for Muskey Fishing? Can a person find Muskellunge in Lake Margreet in Grayling Michigan?

10. Cable

Cable

There is a tag if you want keep one but not to fish for them. And yes there are Musky in Margareath sp?

bigberniegb likes this.
  11. Duke

Duke Habitual outdoorsman

After the musky season closes on March 15, 2018, the tag will be eliminated forever.

When musky season opens again on the first Saturday in June, there is still a 1 per year limit on muskies, but no tag- if you keep one you are required to report it to DNR.

These are a couple of the new changes to musky regulations starting in 2018

12. wpmisport

wpmisport

Tahquamenon river may be an option. Always wanted to try it.

13. TURKEYBILL

TURKEYBILL

Tahquamenon has good numbers and plenty of water to fish.

DirtySteve likes this.
  14. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

Lake George north side of sugar island is great. Part of st Mary's waterway