Muskellunge Regulation Changes

Discussion in 'Darkhouse Spearing' started by Revinchev, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Revinchev

Revinchev

The following regulation changes For Muskellunge take effect April 1st 2018

Harvest Season
    First Saturday in June until March 15 (other closures may apply)
    Catch and immediate release is allowed during closed harvest season

50" Minimum Size Limit
    Antrim Chain (Bellaire Dam to Elk Rapids Dam)
    Chicagon Lake and all tributaries, Iron Co

46" Minimum Size Limit
    Antrim Chain (all waters above Bellaire Dam)
    Black Lake, Black River and all tributaries, Cheboygan and Presque Isle Counties
    Burt Lake, Cheboygan County
    Crooked River, Cheboygan and Emmet Co
    Grand River (6th Street Dam down stream)
    Indian River, Cheboygan County
    Murray Lake, Kent County
    Lake Macatawa, Ottowa County
    Mona Lake, Muskegon County
    Mullet Lake, Cheboygan County
    St Mary's River, Chippewa County

2. Bucman

Bucman

Did you post on Craig’s list too?
    :lol::lol:

jasonmichalski likes this.

3. Revinchev

Revinchev

Duke and Bucman like this.
  4. Bucman

Bucman

5. Revinchev

Revinchev

Thanks for the idea lol

6. chuckinduck

chuckinduck

Thanks for posting. I plan to give Muskie fishing a serious go this summer out on lake Saint Clair. There is no good reason why my salmon boat can’t pull double duty. Just need to pick up some baits and I should be ready to go. I don’t have a revive well but I figure it shouldnt too much different then any other fish. If anyone wants a shot at fish of lifetime I’d be happy to let you tag along.

Bucman, mtrop, jasonmichalski and 4 others like this.
  7. Bucman

Bucman

Thats an awesome idea. I think ill do the same. i usually bring the boat home from the bay in august. i going to spend a couple weekends trollin LSC for a wall mounter! im sure ill have some open seats too.

8. sureshot006

sureshot006

Yep your boat will do fine. Revival can be challenging in the peak of summer but not impossible if you take care to have the fish in net or on board for as little time as possible. They're more fragile in those warm water conditions than you'd think, and I would venture to guess trolling puts more stress on the fish than say casting (from hook up to netting). Just have your tools ready and organized. Don't forget puncture resistant gloves!

9. zer0

zer0

Saving my yearly tag for through the ice angling.
    I do enjoy the big screen experience of staring down the hole, over dragging baits behind the boat. Fin to fist combat at its finest

Scottygvsu, crittrgittr and mitch h like this.
  10. vano397

vano397

Also pertinent changes:

Mandatory harvest reporting. As soon as the system is a go, I am sure someone will make it well known!

Lower Crooked Lake (Barry County) was added to the spearing exceptions list in FO 219.18.

Revinchev likes this.
  11. Duke

Duke Habitual outdoorsman

Press release from the DNR:

A new registration system has been put into place for anglers who harvest a lake sturgeon or muskellunge. An angler who harvests a lake sturgeon or muskellunge is now required to report the harvest within 24 hours, either online at michigan.gov/registerfish, by calling the toll-free number 844-345-FISH (3474) or in person at any Department of Natural Resources Customer Service Center during normal state business hours with advance notice of arrival. Please note that fish registrations won’t be accepted at any state fish hatcheries or DNR field offices, only at DNR Customer Service Centers.

For more information on Michigan fishing licenses and regulation changes, check out the 2018 Michigan Fishing Guide – available at license retailers or online at www.michigan.gov/dnrdigests. The online version is always up to date and available to download.

12. Bucman

Bucman

We can’t get a deer call in but we can for a fish??!?! :confused:

13. Corey K

Corey K

That is a bit strange right?

It does show how much of a struggle the Muskie stocking program has had here in Michigan.

It's too bad there isn't enough for everyone to enjoy or enough quality lakes to successfully plant and have some natural reproduction. I don't know what needs to change, and not make the Muskie groups look like animal/fish activists or purists to be honest.

Catch rates are down from what I read on LSC, could be the fact there is an insane amount of pressure. More boats trolling/casting, more tourneys, more fish targeted in warmer water temps above 70F. That lake has spoiled everyone, your not supposed to catch 10 Muskies in a day LOL.

14. vano397

vano397

Call in for deer, 350000, call in for muskies ???... a couple hundred? No idea really, but a little more manageable.
    You are right, there is a struggle to stock them, last year we stocked... ZERO! Most is a limitation of space. The state has 4 lined ponds total for rearing, and on a good year can get 10k per pond. Hopefully the improvements at Thompson can free up space and increase both number and size.
    LSC catch rates are down. Pressure could be something, but water clarity, VHS, lack of food for the food, etc. are all valid reasons too. It does spoil the people that go there tho!

Corey K likes this.
  15. Corey K

Corey K

Yeah I know the call in term I know is tough to handle. I think what most deer hunters think of with a call in would be an Online check in for game like most other states have. The few states I've hunted in have an easy online check in system for deer, takes about 5 mins for most. I'd hope that is what the DNR is going for with Muskie "call in"?