Muskegon River

Discussion in 'Gear Restrictions and Trout Fishing Regs' started by Ranger Ray, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Ranger Ray

Ranger Ray Smells like, Victory! Premium Member

Hearing about some size limit changes coming on the Muskegon. With the big lodge, not surprising this was coming.

Heard they want to go to 15" size limit on browns. Thought I heard upping the plantings also.

On a river that warms to temps that kill browns, what is the die off going to be, to produce a few bigger fish? There is potential for a major waste of our resources. So my next question would be, is there a study tied into this?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    troutguy26, 357Maximum and Sparky23 like this.
  2. Sparky23

Sparky23

Also has been a push for a fly only section.

3. Mike

Mike

I think it should be reserved for Spey fishing only! Troll for the win!

0302C034-40AA-4FA3-BE01-709071C3671D.jpeg

4. mondrella

mondrella

It does not make much sense to me. The question is how many trout would be in the river if no plants took place?? Is it a fishable population? Highly doubt it. It would be like it is near my home. Yes there are trout. Can you go out and target them daily? The odds of catching a single brown trout is 1 in 5 trips for an angler like me. Years ago when plants took place I could land 2 to 4browns over 15". Much like it is below croton right now. Increasing plants make no sense to me. If they do increase size there should be plenty of fish at current plant levels to make their Utopia.
    To me it is a waste of resources when the increased plants could be put somewhere else and improve or create another fishery.

5. toto

toto

Hey gotta keep those guides happy. BTW see ya on the 26th

6. 357Maximum

357Maximum

The DNR is just gonna run out of money from the average fisherman someday soon if they keep letting special interests stick it in and have their way with them.

toto and Sparky23 like this.