Muskegon River

Discussion in 'South West Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by wango ze tango, Mar 18, 2009.

1. wango ze tango

wango ze tango Guest

Just wonderin what kind of fish are in this river in the big rapids area, any smallmouth or trout?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2009
  2. TheUrbanMustache

TheUrbanMustache Guest

both...some good smallie water in that area. , but to what extent i dont know other than they are stocked. i would buy a delorme map and check the dnr's stocking database as well as the institute of fisheries research to see if they have done a stream survey in the area, but from what i could see there wasn't anything on the net. i would definately take a look as it never hurts to explore new water once in a while. this spring ive got a bucket list of new water to hit up and explore. to me its the reward of finding something new that you worked and researched for that keeps me coming back.

mark

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2009

3. wango ze tango

wango ze tango Guest

thanks, ill check it out

4. quest32a

quest32a Mods

Keep an eye on the list of rivers that can be posted on. I deleted one of the posted rivers.

5. STEINFISHSKI

STEINFISHSKI Staff Member Mods

Smallmouth, perch, and walleye from my experience fishing that area.

6. Swamp Monster

Swamp Monster Premium Member

And some good fishing at that. Northern Pike are also plentiful in some of the slower sections and backwaters. Used to live on the river in BR on just one such backwater south of the old low head dam north of town. Would get some decent pike year around but best during spring.

Smallies and Walleye are located throughout. Did well on inline spinners, cranks, and stickbaits. I never once caught a trout, but they are there. Shore fished it just about anywhere you can get access plus some wading where possible. It's shallow in some areas and very deep in others so wade with caution, just like any other unfamiliar rivier. Take the good advice above and get a delorme map and just start exploring.

7. Flyfisher

Flyfisher

Make sure you check the regulations because some rivers/creeks in your area are closed to angling until the opener on April 25th. Same goes for targeting and fishing for pike/walleye/bass. You can be cited for "fishing out of season" even if you are doing catch and release. I have had some good luck over the years catching some oversized trout on a large river up there.;) Some stretches will hold trout and other areas smallmouth, walleye, and pike. Good luck!