Muskegon Lake thief

Discussion in 'Icefishing LP inland lakes and rivers' started by brigeton, Feb 14, 2019.

1. brigeton

brigeton

I went out of Hartshorn this morning fishing around the red buoy. After a while I decided to try a little further across the lake. I left a automatic fisherman unattended for about 1/2 hr by the red buoy. When I came back it was gone.
    No one fishing that area. Just one guy that went out about the same time as me. Maroon Jeep, wood sided utility trailer, red Honda foreman.
    I know I shouldn't have left it unattended but that's no reason to be a f*****g thief.

2. Raylaser

Raylaser

Part of the entitlement mentality out in our society today. If I want it and I see it I'm taking it, especially if someone else worked their butts off to pay for it. I have no use for a stinking thief!!:mad:

3. murdermittenkid

murdermittenkid

Sorry to hear, those things are expensive! Have you tried making your own? I made some out of pvc and they work great.

4. brigeton

brigeton

No I've thought about it. I don't know how I'd make the trigger.

5. murdermittenkid

murdermittenkid

YouTube it. Super simple it's just a piece of bent coat hanger. Here's a link

Ford 800 and unclecrash like this.
  6. murdermittenkid

murdermittenkid

Just make sure you build em to whatever rod your going to use. Not very interchangeable unless you made different length wire for different rods

Christopher Larmore likes this.
  7. PoppaRod

PoppaRod

Coat hangers aren't just for coats. At least he didn't steal your car. Isn't it illegal to leave your line unattended or is it just a distance rule? I've heard of people leaving tip ups out over night and getting a ticket or getting them stolen. I don't trust anyone, and please don't step into my magical panfish circle

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    Swampbuckster and 6Speed like this.
  8. ice ghost

ice ghost

Your in Muskegon. Be thankful your vehicle wasn't hone.

9. Raylaser

Raylaser

A tip up, jaw jacker etc count towards your total number of lines you are legally allowed to fish. Tip ups must be within your sight at all times so as to be "manned". No specific distance is given in the DNR handbook but if you weren't within sight of it so as to have someone steal it, then technically you were fishing with it illegally regardless of how many lines you had in the water at the time. That said, still not an excuse for someone to steal it!!!

10. TK81

TK81 Premium Member

Ever put tip ups out on both sides of you? Winds kicks up so you one see one while your back is to the other? It only takes a minute for someone to walk by and grab your gear when your back is turned. Twice this year already I have had to let guys know in their shanties that hey had flags flying outside. Who knows how long before they would have noticed. One flag was up for at least five minutes as I drilled a dozen holes 100 yards away, before I walked over and hollered.

MISTURN3 likes this.
  11. Raylaser

Raylaser

"Manning" a tip up is a relative term. Just answering the posed question earlier. Yes, I've had my back to a tip up and I've been in my shanty when a flag went up. The point of what is written in the DNR Handbook basically states that you have to be within seeing distance of your lines you have in the water - their words not mine. And as I said, there's no excuse to steal another person's equipment no matter what the circumstances.

Christopher Larmore likes this.
  12. Christopher Larmore

Christopher Larmore

I was up at Burt and there were 2 guys that set out 8 tip ups and had 2 flags off for over 3 and a 1/2 hours before they came out to check em. Not cool imo. But I didnt touch em either.

13. brigeton

brigeton

Not making excuses but I was probably 300yd away for about 1/2 hrs. I would have seen the guy stealing it if I had been paying attention.