Muskegeon River with a prop

Discussion in 'South West Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by Smr871, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Smr871

Smr871

Im thinking about heading up and was wondering about hitting some of the lower stretches. Is it really that shallow that if you take it slow it would still be an issue?
    I was thinking about putting in at Bridgeton and either heading up or down. Not asking for specific holes or anything and PM's are of course welcome.
    thanks in advance!

slowpaya likes this.
  2. Sparky23

Sparky23

You should be fine. There are ahallow areas just be carefull. I have run prop from there on up every access to the dam. Good luck

slowpaya likes this.

3. Smr871

Smr871

Cool thanks man

slowpaya likes this.
  4. Smr871

Smr871

How is it up by the dam?

slowpaya likes this.
  5. Sparky23

Sparky23

6. wilsonm

wilsonm

The water level is still way below normal for this time of year. You won't get far if trying to navigate upstream with a prop from Pine Street unless your very lucky. Putting in at the dam below the bridge is doable if you want to fish up by the dam. It is still pretty fast and shallow at that launch though. Dicey is right

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    slowpaya and Waif like this.
  7. Waif

Waif

Dam launch can be a damn launch. Be running , or be drifting.....

Heard of one guy years back who clamped the steel end of a pichfork to his lower unit for a prop guard.
    The tilt mechanism for when an object is stuck should be set lighter than normal I would imagine.

Never got up the nerve to run an outboard prop in there....Debated it a few times farther below when paddling upstream.

slowpaya likes this.
  8. sfw1960

sfw1960 Staff Member Super Mod Mods

There's a lot better ways to spend $100+ IMO ....

ESOX likes this.
  9. Sparky23

Sparky23

If you know the river thornapple to pine is doable. I have been on that stretch many times. If not....bye prop. New bridge down is more prop friendly.

fishinfever and BDuff1234 like this.
  10. BDuff1234

BDuff1234

If you're not sure about a stretch of river then I would recommend in the following order;

1. ask to tag along with someone who does know that stretch of river to learn from them in their boat.

2. ask someone who knows that stretch of river to tag along with you and teach you in your boat.

3. go without someone who knows that stretch of river but have someone up on the bow helping direct you to make sure you don't hit any shallow spots, but still taking it really slow.

4. go without someone who knows that stretch of river but take it really really slow.

fishinfever and Sparky23 like this.
  11. Fishndude

Fishndude

Always have a spare prop on your boat. Every motorized boat. I was towing a buddy skiing once, and had the prop just fall off a 180 HP I/O without any warning. We hadn't had that prop off in years. You just never know.

BDuff1234 likes this.
  12. Riverdude

Riverdude

BDuff has it right, I'll add;

5. Pray a lot.

BDuff1234 likes this.
  13. Riverdude

Riverdude

Pick your launch point.
    Motor slowly upstream.
    Drift back down to launch.
    Safest way to do it.
    You also need a heavy anchor in the Mo.
    Chain is most common. I run 100 lbs in high water.
    Running on plane in the Mo you better have your s#$t together.
    Kill switches and PFD's are a good idea.

14. REG

REG

Prop Guard=money well spent
    Motor in unlocked position
    If you have a tiller, get a handle extension to get your weight forward
    Have a buddy spot you in the very front to spot and will lift the stern also
    Hint-The channel for many the shallow flats on the MO are toward one side of the river or the other.
    Go dead slow in the shallows so the stern doesn't dig down.

15. bwlacy

bwlacy

Thornapple to Pine is doable depending on the type of boat you have, down from Thornapple is about the same. If you have a shallow draft boat and a short shaft you can do it. I've run it for over 20 years with a 12 foot boat and a 15hp outboard. You have to be able to read the water until you learn where the deeper runs are. Go slow, keep your tilt unlocked, get a handle extension, kill switch tether, where a pdf. When the water is high enough my boat has less draft on plane, but you better pay attention to the river, and watch for dead heads and debris in the spring.

Sparky23 likes this.