Munuscong fishery

Discussion in 'Icefishing UP inland lakes and big lake bays' started by tjays, Apr 11, 2018.

1. retired dundo

retired dundo

If they are breaking the law what is the DNR saying about it

2. Forest Meister

Forest Meister

DNR has zero, as in none, jurisdiction over tribal members. FM

3. Zorba

Zorba

This was posted by one of the guys netting the bay.

post.jpg

4. retired dundo

retired dundo

Who does

5. Forest Meister

Forest Meister

The tribes and only the tribes. Back when the Consent Decree was implemented the DNR touted the "fact" at public meetings that they would have enforcement authority PDQ. That was about a dozen years ago and it hasn't happened yet. Funny thing is, tribal officers can enforce state laws, including those for fish and game. Maybe it is just me, but something just doesn't smell right! FM

Perchslayer1 likes this.
  6. waterfowl_warrior09

waterfowl_warrior09

Bay was fun while it lasted, sucks he's harvesting all the walleye planted by sportsman club

Sent from my E6810 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

7. retired dundo

retired dundo

Ya I’ve been going to cederville since the 60s .I remember sometime in the 80s we started doing real good on lake trout by gravely island .It was a lot of fun and all ofasudden one year you could not Evan fish they had so many nets.And a bridge. By Malay creek use to take kids to fish in spring kids had a ball.Than one year no on e w. As catching any i drove my boat over th ere and they had nets all the w ay across the mouth.I think they should have to use the same kind of fishing stuff they had when the treaty wa s signed

johnnie555 likes this.
  8. Zorba

Zorba

This is a perfect example of why the 2004 consent decree has failed. It doesn't have any teeth. It was sold to the people that there would be all this enforcement and that enforcement would be shared by the state and the tribes. The truth is there is none. All that it has done is to create a segregated harvest between the State and the local tribes.

johnnie555, tjays and Forest Meister like this.
  9. upmounty

upmounty

mdnr can now enforce tribal laws per the consent agreement. took effect couple months ago. also, mdnr officers work closely with tribal conservation officers so if mdnr officer find violations it was dealth with.

tjays likes this.
  10. Forest Meister

Forest Meister

Good to know, thanks for the update. Wonder what the reason was that it was not made widely known? Taking well over a decade to work out detail that the DNR assured the public were a done deal must have been embarrassing to someone. FM

upmounty likes this.
  11. retired dundo

retired dundo

Than is the betters are breaking the law why isn’t,t the Dnr enforcing the law

12. upmounty

upmounty

my understanding is these particular nets were checked and found to be legal

13. pavy31

pavy31

You guys fail to remember that the tribe plants over 400k eyes a year ... please keep that in mind.

14. gunner1

gunner1

Plantings from the eggs that are stripped from walleye from munuscong are raised and planted at various locations . Local sportsman club buy the fingerlings and plant the st.marys. Munuscong is not planted by the tribe as it is natural reproducing habitat, it is only taken from!