Mud Motors - Long Tail vs Short

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by Chronic, Dec 11, 2019.

1. ajkulish

ajkulish

I'll say that if you go surface drive make sure the boat is a true flat bottom. Apparently my buddy got a 1542 Excel modv with a 23 surface drive and he hates the damn thing. Something about how the water comes off of the transom, cant propel properly. Boat is super nice but his expectations ruined the whole experience for him. Spent too much time looking at people ripping around on instagram (mind you 9 time out of 10 its in water deep enough for an outboard lol). Had the boat 3 months and already for sale.

"God damn 8000 dollar paper weight"
    "Why the f*** can't I get on plane"
    "should have just got a damn kayak"
    "rebuilt the damn thing more times than I hunted out of it"
    "can we take your boat?"

Be careful, my friend, surface drives and mud motors can change a man.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    MIfishslayer91 likes this.
  2. Wolverine423

Wolverine423

If your going to run a surface drive motor THEN buy a boat Hull specifically built for a surface drive motor. This is where the problem is with many duck boat set ups in Michigan. Do your homework - Don’t believe everything a salesperson tells you. To the OP. a backwater 23 swomplite would work best for those particular boats your looking at. Do not put a surface drive on them as they will not perform well. Outboard motors > No thanks, never again will I own one for waterfowl

sfpenn likes this.

3. natureboy2534

natureboy2534

1542 alweld ( No pods)
    23 backwaters swomp ( not lite version )
    Runs great 3 guys and gear, not breaking records but gets me to my spots. Like someone said up top No mud motor like a real hard bottom ( no bite) but with a long tale you can swing it around to find a softer bottom with a longer reach and also used mine as a oar to turn the boat around a couple of times....
    Good luck, and have fun!!!!

4. Aaronjeep2

Aaronjeep2

You can add a pullstart to that thing.

5. Chronic

Chronic

Lots of good info. Thanks. I am sure the performance of the surface drives and American style short shafts are great, just really expensive.

The genesis of this project was wanting to put a long tail on my Grumman Sport boat. However, after a couple hours conversation with an old timer / owner of the same boat his thought was it would be less than ideal. ”Mud motors are made to be driven standing up.” Not too keen on driving my G boat standing up.

Chronic

6. Mixedbag609

Mixedbag609

I have a 5hp long tail on my Grumman sport boat. It pushes it just fine I neal down in front of the rear seat on rubber mats. it gps's at 11mph with a worn down prop its like 5-1/4" not the 7" it's as new.

7. Chronic

Chronic

How does it steer with the long tail on the G boat? Is it hard to turn while kneeling? Do you have to switch hands to turn sharply? What is the total weight of the long tail and motor?

thanks for your reply!!

chronic

8. 28hotshot

28hotshot

I used to have a 13hp honda beaver dam mud runner. Pros was the thing had some thrust for sure and would go through anything. Cons were no clutch so pretty dangerous, the motor was super heavy so it was difficult to pull over dikes, and I found myself cutting weeds off of the prop more than I was running the motor. The motor pushed my boat around 18-20 mph with no gear and only 11-12 with 2 guys and gear. Bought a new boat with an outboard and I can still hunt 95% of my spots and get there a heck of a lot faster and safer, especially on big water. Seriously though if you lived down in the southern swamps the thing would be nice but for what we have up here i seen more negatives than positives.

natureboy2534 likes this.
  9. Buck from Florida

Buck from Florida

Last week I bought a 23 copperhead for my 14x36 with pods to replace a 23.5 GD Long Tail.
    I wish I would have done it years ago. The difference in the amount of abuse my shoulder gets is amazing. I'm in Florida and we hunt mostly the everglades. Lots of saw-grass knees above and below water line. When the water gets low, my long-tail took a huge toll on my arm from all the kick ups. With this new SD, it rarely hits anything to cause it to kick up. I just received the new floating handle bracket so I should have an even easier time once I get that installed.
    Not only is it easier on me it is a lot faster, both in thick stuff and in the open.
    I clocked 25 mph yesterday w 2 guys and gear after hunting; that is w a scissor blind as well.
    I would never go back to a long tail, for where I hunt.

10. BumpRacerX

BumpRacerX

The jon boat that I bought had what appears to be a home built long tail on it. I took it to my small engine to get it running and he was able to fix it and get it functional again. That said, he said no guarantee on the actual engine portion itself as the keyway to the flywheel was broken. I'm debating trading it off for a small outboard as I have a mudskipper twister with a predator 212 ready to go. I can see pros and cons of both the mud motor and the outboard depending on where I'm going. Just no need for both a long tail and the twister.