Mud Motors - Long Tail vs Short

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by Chronic, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Chronic

Chronic

I see 3 basic designs of mud motors: Surface drives, Tai style and "American" short shaft styles.
    I am interested in the performance characteristics of these. The long Tai style has no cavitation plate (brands like Beaver Dam and Swamp Runner) vs The shorter "American" style (brands like Go Devil and Mud Buddy) vs the surface drives.

The long Tai style have just a shaft, skag and a power head. Where as the shorter styles have a lot of super structure, anti-cavitation plate and skag (more weight).

The Tai style is the least expensive by magnitudes compared to the others.

Is one style harder to keep in the water? Do you need constant pressure to hold them in the water? Is one style easier to turn than another? If you were to put the same HP of all 3 styles on the same boat (not at the same time), what is the speed difference and handling characteristics, etc.?

I have watched a lot of youtube video's and everybody loves their style setup, but no one talks about why?

Looking forward to your input!

Thanks,

Chronic

2. Wolverine423

Wolverine423

I have both. What are you primarily going to put your boat through?

3. Chronic

Chronic

It will vary, shallow rivers to flooded fields and some inland lakes with lots of weeds that have been choking my outboard.

4. rob0311

rob0311

I have a Longtail on my 14’ I use for trapping and sometimes spring walleye. I have been trough and over a lot of things. I have a cheap kit with a 6.5 predator. Seems to be well bananced and I use 1 hand to drive. Turning is harder but manageable. The only thing I can’t stand is in really weedy water, if I’m up on plane I can run over the top of it. Getting up and out of vegetation sucks. It works great for what I do. 2 full size adults and it bogs down and can’t get on plane. It’s plenty fast enough as you will hit that submerged log and kiss the bottom of the boat. For the money it’s about the funnest thing to ride around in.

5. Sampsons_owner

Sampsons_owner

Depends alot on what kind of boat you have or are going to run it on. Steve

6. Chronic

Chronic

Boat would be a 1436 to 1542 size range.

7. Tonypro

Tonypro

I have a 23 hp B&S Go-Devil longtail on a 16' Starcraft. With 2 guys and fuel it will run about 17 mph and gets on plane with no problem. In that scenario I have to keep constant upward pressure on the handle to keep the prop from blowing out. If I add bow weight the prop will stay in the water with considerable less upward pressure on the handle and with enough bow weight (hunting gear, decoys, etc.) the prop will stay in the water with no pressure needed.

I think the biggest difference in shaft length is the turning radius of the boat. A longer shaft equals a wider turning radius. There are times I have to hang over the side of the boat if I need to make a sharp turn.

If money was no issue I would probably get a short shaft. It seems like every time I see a boat with a short shaft they appear to be flying across the water and throwing a cool rooster tail to boot. Plus now they make them with neutral and reverse, they offer a hydraulic trim option too.

8. LoBrass

LoBrass Premium Member

I have a 24 hp Mud Buddy with the extra long shaft on a 14' flatbottom. I like it because I only need about 4" of water. In heavy weeds I can "half-prop" through nearly anything. It does take some elbow greese to control it but I don't care. A grab bar in the boat is an absolute must IMO.
    Mine can swing completely into the boat and I can remove the handle for a neat towing configuration.
    Very simple and getting on plane is no issue.
    From what I have read and by talking to friends with the short shafts they are tougher to plane in weeds but that is about the only drawback. Ease of use, reverse, safety and speed are all better with the hyper drives.

9. Aaronjeep2

Aaronjeep2

I have a 20hp long tail on my 1542 by myself and hunting load it's pretty fast. Add another guy and dog the thing is slow get as much hp as you can afford I wish I went bigger. Next one will be a surface drive a little faster and can get reverse.

10. rob0311

rob0311

Forgot to mention, a longtail will get more swing in each direction to get a “bite” with the prop if your in heavy mud/muck. Or getting over logs you can pretty much power over them slow by digging the prop in deeper.

natureboy2534 and Aaronjeep2 like this.
  11. SteelShot

SteelShot

I have a Gatortail 35 GTR on a 1652. It will run about 24 with two guys and a hunt load. It has neutral, reverse and power trim. For me with a bigger boat it was worth the extra cost. Long tail with cav plates are fine but as you’ve read are harder to turn and also rig for transportation.

The newer surface drives are using fuel injection as well which will eliminate all the issues with finicky carburetors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. FISHMANMARK

FISHMANMARK

That 14' handles the weight of a 23hp ok or do you have floats added?

13. LoBrass

LoBrass Premium Member

Handles it fine, no pods. The 24hp Honda I have does NOT have a pull start. If I could change anything I would have wanted a pull start on it in the event a battery died. Never had an issue starting though.
    The boat I have is the widest 14' boat I have ever found. It had adjustable seats and I removed one completely when I fabricated my grab bar then moved the remaining seat into the middle of the boat. I will get a picture and post it up. I have had the boat well over 17 years.

14. BumpRacerX

BumpRacerX

How do you like the wide 14'? I picked up an old 1436, but am looking for a 1448 for non-cornrow hunting/summer fishing.

15. LoBrass

LoBrass Premium Member

Love it. 20191212_072152.jpg 20191212_072132.jpg

BFG likes this.