Mt. Kilauea, Will It Blow It’s Top

Discussion in 'Sound Off (MichiganForums.com)' started by Luv2hunteup, May 10, 2018.

1. pescadero

pescadero

If you live on the island of Hawaii - yes. If you live on any of the other islands in the state of Hawaii, you live next to a volcano.

2. pescadero

pescadero

Not really - major eruptions seem to fall every ~700,000-800,000 years (2.1 million years ago, 1.3 million years ago, 630,000 years ago) and it's only been 630,000 since the last eruption.

It's not over due, but anytime in the next 150,000 years would be pretty much "on time".

jiggin is livin likes this.

3. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin

4. junkman

junkman

Who cares.If it is going to happen it will happen.I can just be the smart monkey and choose to not live in an area prone to volcanic activity.

5. Northernfisher

Northernfisher

pescadero likes this.
  6. petronius

petronius

7. Northernfisher

Northernfisher

It is my understanding that "dormant" is a subclass of inactive. It has to do with the expected timeline.

"A dormant volcano is one that is not currently erupting but has erupted within recordable history and is expected to erupt again in the future. The line between active and dormant volcanoes is sometimes blurred; some volcanoes can remain dormant for thousands of years between eruptions, so technically they are expected to erupt in the future, but it could take many lifetimes before that happens. Mauna Kea, another one of the five volcanoes on the Big Island, last erupted 3,500 years ago but it is expected to erupt again, although there is no prediction as to when that event could take place. Dormant volcanoes are often the most dangerous as people are complacent living within their vicinity and are generally unprepared when an eruption does come. This was the case with Mt. St. Helens in 1980." #1

What you want are Extinct volcanos to really be safe. Like this one - it is a great dive site.

Extinct Volcanoes
    [​IMG]
    Extinct volcanoes are considered dead and are not expected to ever erupt again. Kohala, the oldest volcano on the Big Island of Hawaii, has not erupted in 60,000 years and is not expected to ever become active again. But this classification is not an entirely definitive determination, because many Hawaiian volcanoes have gone through a stage of rejuvenation.

It is fun living on a changing planet.

# 1 https://sciencing.com/classification-volcanoes-8442589.html

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    capper, petronius and jiggin is livin like this.
  8. sureshot006

sureshot006

I enjoyed the news the first day it the eruption was reported. They were interviewing a guy on the big island over the phone. He did not make a very good interviewee from the TV point of view, and it made me laugh at the time because the news person didn't really know how to respond... the guy said "its Hawaii, what do you expect? If you live in tornado alley, you are accepting the risk. Same with a volcano". (not exact words, but very direct to those ideas).

capper, Scout 2, petronius and 3 others like this.
  9. PencilPlugger

PencilPlugger

The Hawaiian islands are formed by magma flowing up from a hotspot in the ocean floor. The Pacific Plate has shifted across the hotspot over time, explaining the western layout of the islands. The volcanoes are considered to be shield volcanoes, which are characterized by lava flowing through known rift zones. The likelihood one of the Hawaiian volcanoes erupts in catastrophic fashion such as Mount Saint Helens, especially west of The Big Island, is extremely low. I'll take my chances.

pescadero and petronius like this.
  10. Northernfisher

Northernfisher

As said by someone from Lake Orion.

11. PencilPlugger

PencilPlugger

Maybe I haven't updated the location in my profile lately.

12. sureshot006

sureshot006

your avatar looks like you surf often. I say Cali lol

13. Northernfisher

Northernfisher

Try Maui.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

14. sureshot006

sureshot006

Been to Maui, just didn't see too many of what look like hippie Mr potato heads lol. Just noticed the dang think winks at you. Creepy!

brushbuster and jiggin is livin like this.
  15. brushbuster

brushbuster

What type of lava shoes do you wear, prom or bridal shower?