Mt. Kilauea, Will It Blow It’s Top

Discussion in 'Sound Off (MichiganForums.com)' started by Luv2hunteup, May 10, 2018.

1. zfishman

zfishman

Forest Meister likes this.
  2. imjon

imjon

I had an "I Lava Volcano" shirt my brother got me after Mt. St. Helens. He drove up there for reasons I have no clue about. Sometimes I think his inner nerd takes over the decision making process.
    Felt an 4.7 aftershock of the Loma Prieta earthquake (aka the world series earthquake) while at the S.F. airport coming back to Michigan. That was freaky. They can keep the volcano's out there in the ring of fire. Cool to see, don't want anything to do with it.

I do have to smile at the press reports of tossing boulders into the air if the volcano erupts. Check out the Mt. St. Helens video, the whole mountain side blew out.

3. imjon

imjon

BBQ fire is a little too hot.

vsmorgantown and U of M Fan like this.
  4. Joel/AK

Joel/AK

5. Nitro225Optimax

Nitro225Optimax

As much as I like capturing things on video, I would not be standing there video taping that. I would be getting out of Dodge fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

U of M Fan and jiggin is livin like this.
  6. Fishndude

Fishndude

Most people have heard of Flood Zones by now - areas that are prone to flooding. People who live in Flood Zones have to obtain special flood insurance for their home, if they have financing.

In Hawaii there are Lava Zones. Sometimes there are homes built in Lava Zones - the places where lava has flowed during past eruptions. Go ahead, try to get Lava Insurance.......

7. Northernfisher

Northernfisher

[​IMG]

It is my understanding that it is almost impossible to buy insurance in Zone 1. Zone 2 is very expensive.

If you are going to live in Hawaii you have to deal with volcanos, just like people in Michigan deal with snowy roads. The airport in Kona is built on a lava flow from 1801; Much of the runway is built on a relatively recent lava flow: the 1801 Huʻehuʻe flow from Hualālai. (Much of the runway is built on a relatively recent lava flow: the 1801 Huʻehuʻe flow from Hualālai. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kona_International_Airport)

Here is an interesting photo for you:

[​IMG]

That is the lava lake in the carter. Within 3 weeks it was over the top.

For a scale that hole is about half a mile across. https://www.hawaiimagazine.com/content/end-halemaumau-craters-lava-lake

A great place to visit by the way.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  8. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

What makes me sad is realizing that now the weather channel will have yet another reality show series on living next to a volcano instead of actually reporting the freaking local weather. Who cares about the damned ice road truckers, when is the storm gonna blow over so I can fish? That's what I wanna know...

imjon, R.J.M., capper and 1 other person like this.
  9. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

When you live in Hawaii you don't live "next" to a volcano, you live "on" a volcano.

No matter how Man tries to fight nature, He will, in the end, always lose.

capper and Oldgrandman like this.
  10. Joel/AK

Joel/AK

It's the like the old adage " pay to play". Sucks when the planet calls in the chips.

Hawaii is beautiful, had to go there for work a few times.

Even back home, in the back of your mind, you still kinda wonder when the big one hits again,Not if .
    Also you hope your not anywhere near the fault line....lol

capper and 6Speed like this.
  11. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

It's only a matter of time until several volcanoes here in the US blow their tops. Many of them are prone to really explosive eruptions. Mount Hood, Mount Rainier, Mount Shasta and Yellowstone to name a few. There are a LOT of people living in range of all of those.

12. Joel/AK

Joel/AK

Let's hope Yellowstone keeps sleeping for a few more thousand years.

capper, jiggin is livin and petronius like this.
  13. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

I'm hoping California will bust off and sink myself...

HUBBHUNTER and capper like this.
  14. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

Either it will, or it won't. It's a tad over due now.

15. Joel/AK

Joel/AK

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/#{"autoUpdate"%3A%5B"autoUpdate"%5D%2C"basemap"%3A"grayscale"%2C"feed"%3A"1day_m25"%2C"listFormat"%3A"default"%2C"mapposition"%3A%5B%5B24.6%2C-125%5D%2C%5B50%2C-65%5D%5D%2C"overlays"%3A%5B"plates"%5D%2C"restrictListToMap"%3A%5B"restrictListToMap"%5D%2C"search"%3Anull%2C"sort"%3A"newest"%2C"timezone"%3A"utc"%2C"viewModes"%3A%5B"list"%5D%2C"event"%3Anull%7D

Hope the link works. You can see by the numbers (depth) when the volcanoe gets "restless"