1. tincanary

tincanary

As long as you're using a longer moderate action rod, you'll be ok. Longer rods act like a shock absorber and do more of the work, perfectly fine in some cases. Now if you were using a shorter rod, then you're asking the line to do more of the work which will lead to a break-off. You could definitely get away running 2lb on a 7'+ moderate or moderate fast rod. I purposely fish steelhead that way when the water is low, slow, and gin clear. I've caught fish to 6lb with my 7'6" noodle using 4lb Ultragreen.

2. Stubee

Stubee

When I used to night fish a lot I used an unweighted elk hair Muddler I tied myself on a long shank 6 strong hook, cast quartering upstream and retrieved after some twitches way down. The biggest brown I caught was one I first heard sipping and he hit upstream, but I caught a bunch I didn’t hear on the swing. I switched out my long tapered light leader for maybe 4-6’ of 1X or so at dark. The 4-6’ butts of long tapered leaders I’d broke off were better than straight heavy X IME.

You want your fly to make some commotion out there but ya don’t need to go berserk.

3. Bow hunter on a Mission

Bow hunter on a Mission

I’ve used a rubber mouse with spinning gear that works great on largemouths. always wanted to try it on a trout stream just haven’t put myself in the right place at the right time to do so.

4. Shoeman

Shoeman Mod

Many of us fished with Dick Swan back in the day. Light leaders were the norm (down to 2#).

By the time the fish was landed, it was near death and took forever to land. Not something to do if you practice C&R. I really never found a noticeable difference in the hook-up ratio between 2 and 6# leaders. Might be sporting to go that light, but there's hardly a need.

mfs686 and tincanary like this.
  5. tincanary

tincanary

No need at all. The thinner stuff lets you cast smaller offerings easier, that's my main perspective. I've noticed no difference in hookup rates myself. My usual big trout setup is 30lb braid to an 8lb leader, I only go really light if the conditions warrant it.

UPEsox and Shoeman like this.
  6. Fishndude

Fishndude

When I was growing up, we stayed at a family friend's place on the Ausable - right in the Holy Waters. Last cabin at the end of Spite Rd, and he owned up to old Mrs Stephan's place. I used a 7' fiberglass rod, and Stren 6# line, back then. I could cast a wet deer hair mouse halfway across the river, but you didn't need to do that. The fish loved to post up next to logs, and logjams, in their "feed lanes." I'd toss along a higher bank, or to the top of a log, or logjam, and bring it downstream a bit faster than the current, twitching as I reeled, to make it look like it was swimming. I caught quite a few fish, and lost some huge fish doing this. Oh, and late dusk was when I usually started doing this, and would fish into total darkness - and we didn't have head lamps back then. lol I never caught a Brookie, mousin, but I'll bet it can be done.

7. UPEsox

UPEsox

Only time I used a super light leader 2lb is when throwing dries in a small small flow.

Broken off a few too many to fish with anything less than 6 if lake run fish are involved. 6 works just fine for mousing. Cannot beat topwater fishing at night, don't care what species.

tincanary and Shoeman like this.
  8. kzoofisher

kzoofisher

The popularity of mousing has gotten out of hand. Not so much because the resource can't take it, though in some stretches that's true, more because most people don't seem to know the etiquette of it.

1. You pick your beat and fish it. If when you get to to your parking spot or put in there's someone else there you either talk to them and work out who's going where or leave.
    2. Keep your light off the water when you're walking the bank. If that means you have to go slower or it's a pain, too bad. That's night fishing.
    3. Know where your take out is. I mean KNOW it. Don't walk a half mile of river with your light on looking for it. If you're that lost, break down your rod, climb the bank and go find the trail. Don't hop out at some strangers dock either and hope you don't wake them or their dogs up.
    4. Sometimes you inadvertently run into someone fishing the other way/got in on the other bank/whatever. It happens. Either you each pick a bank to fish and share what's left of the beat or one of you goes home. Maybe both of you if you were moving towards each other.
    5. Don't be a beat hog. Find several and mix them up so other folks have a chance to fish it, too. Maybe you've been fishing a particular beat for years. So have a lot of people. It's not your river.
    6. If you're going to float, pick a section that's hard to wade. I've been run up on by two boats this year so far and nobody enjoyed it. You’re also going to be there a lot longer than 99% of ground pounders and covering a lot more distance so expect to have to skip some water for they guy who got there before you.
    7. Try learning during the full moon. Fishing may not be as good, then again it may, but you’ll be able to see enough that you’ll get the hang of it in no time.

That’s a start anyway. Getting to be like hex season out there and there’s no reason for it. Plenty of water, I’ve gone out and found new beats this year just to get away a bit. Anywhere that’s 30’ or wider will do and if you try to learn on some of the well known stretches your going to get jammed up. From what the locals tell me it’s getting fished 7 nights a week on a big chunk of the AS system. That’s crazy with all the good water nearby.

9. bigcreekdad@aol.com

[email protected]

Gee thanks....never would have considered any of your points.

Sparky23 and kzoofisher like this.
  10. Hackman

Hackman

Night fishing not new but more people better educated, more commercialized with all the guides. In the 70's when I was around 12 two brothers Roy and Herb taught me to fly fish big streamers at night. They tied flies and would give me alot. Both would be well over 100 now. Got to thank those old timers , no internet to waste time on, learned by being on the stream.

Stubee likes this.
  11. plugger

plugger Premium Member

My first experiences lining steelhead came with a Dick Swan program. I thought I was being stealthy with a 10 foot 2 or 4 pound leader and a single egg. Most any deep hole you could hook a fish. It was after we came to realize we were lining salmon while fly fishing that I took a look at my steelhead fishing and saw the similarities in hook placement. I still line some while bouncing spawn with more conventional gear.

on a call, Shoeman and Stubee like this.
  12. bigcreekdad@aol.com

[email protected]

I was joking...didn't care for the lecture

13. Dan J

Dan J

Personally I like to use 15-20lb Mono. With the water temps mid ~60-70's in the summertime, I like to get the fish in quickly and back in the water ASAP without a big fight on lighter tippet. Minimize the stress when the water temps are borderline fish-able.

14. kzoofisher

kzoofisher

Cut a little deep, huh?

Fishfighter likes this.
  15. bigcreekdad@aol.com

[email protected]

Been night fishing for 30 years. Don't need lectures from you.

Sparky23 likes this.