Mounting trolling motor on glass boat

Discussion in 'Boating and Boat Rigging' started by natureboy2534, Feb 18, 2019.

1. natureboy2534

natureboy2534

Just bought a glass boat and it had a motor guide troller on it. Want to put a Minnkota up there but there is NO ACCESS to the under side of where its going to be mounted so cant put a backer plate or washer on it..The M.G. had the rubber mounting isolators for it, but the holes dont line up for the new motor. And would have to drill new holes for the new mounting plate..
    So my question is...
    How good do those isolators work and would that be my best choice/ or the only choice. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

2. The Fishing Pollock

The Fishing Pollock

You really need to have some kind of rubber washer or plate backing the bolts or they will eventually pull out and the TM will fall off or rattle lost and waller out the bolt holes. There has to be some sort of faceplate where the TM plugs into that can come off. A few pictures and brand of boat would be helpfull in this.

natureboy2534 likes this.

3. natureboy2534

natureboy2534

Will grab pictures after work tonight..

4. ebijack

ebijack

Since the mounting holes are not the same. Going to a minnkota I was able to plug the motorguide holes using 1/4" or 3/8" ? trim christmas trees. A dab of silicone, push into holes.
    Minnkota was large enough to cover all but one of the christmas trees.
    Like mentioned above. There has to be access thru one or more panels at the front. Tight, but still there.
    Drilling fiberglass, use a unibit. Only one cutting edge won't tear/rip/chip like a regular sharp drill bit.
    I used rubber washers and flat fenders metal washers.

5. natureboy2534

natureboy2534

20190201_210830.jpg This is the only picture I have of it with me this morning. I will get better pictures tonight of it. Will have to plug holes from last mounting bracket also as they will be showing on new bracket. Thanks again ..Fellas..will be posting better pictures tonight..

6. Shoeman

Shoeman Mod

Cut a hole for an access panel

[​IMG]

386xf, ESOX, Scout 2 and 1 other person like this.
  7. natureboy2534

natureboy2534

What are these Christmas trees you are talking about?
    All this is new to me, learning as I go.

8. natureboy2534

natureboy2534

Thats a good idea also..Might look into that...

9. Shoeman

Shoeman Mod

I had to do that on my Scout. It was the only way to reinforce the gunwale and to fish tape the power wires. (although mine was in the anchor locker, but in a "cored" boat)

10. natureboy2534

natureboy2534

After some looking at it , I can possibly cut that opening down a little bit and wont see it after im done. My arm just needs a little more room to get all the way up to front bow. Or send in my nephew to get up there..Should be able to get Some type of support up under there..Heres some pictures 20190218_170410.jpg 20190218_170657.jpg

11. The Fishing Pollock

The Fishing Pollock

That is a long stretch but doable with a small arm. You can always put a dab of something sticky on the face of a wrench and tape to cover the back up, put the nut inside the wrench and a rubber/metal sided washer on the open side of the wrench with something sticky on it and carefully reach up in there . Just make sure to tie a string to the wrench so it won't come off and loop it around your wrist so you don't lose the wrench if it comes out of your hand .

12. ebijack

ebijack

They come in many sizes/lengths. Available at wallymart, harbor freight, lowes etc. Get the size you need.
    This is only one example
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Hillman-Group-3-8-in-Push-Fastener-Retainer-881199/202242476

Yes you could easily cut that opening leaving 1/4" flat space all around for the cover plate/switch plate to sit against. If that makes sense.
    Or like mentioned, add a new access hole. Lots of options there. Even making storage if you want.

13. natureboy2534

natureboy2534

Thanks for all the help..Will definitely have to get those trees for the holes from the old bracket..Will probably use a piece of aluminum with slots milled out of them to help line up the holes better from underneath. Definitely makes sense about leaving only the mounting holes for that cover, and wont even see where it was cut. I just need a tad bit more room for my fore arm to get in there..Thanks again ..

ebijack likes this.
  14. piketroller

piketroller

Ahh, the joys of rigging boats. I was working up under the bow platform on mine on Saturday, and at one point my hands/forearms were slightly bleeding in five different places. But when you are done, there’s the satisfaction of having done it yourself. Plus if anything needs to get fixed down the road, you know exactly how to address it in a hurry.

15. Shoeman

Shoeman Mod

I love it! Currently rigging one that’s 1500 miles away...lol

Bought all I would think I need. Hope it all fits in the truck! Tools, 4200, 5200, drill motor, GPS...

Probably the 10th boat, perhaps more......

River raider and natureboy2534 like this.