Mounting transducer to the trolling motor

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Tim b, May 15, 2018.

1. Tim b

Tim b

Just got a new depth finder, and it came with the ability to mount it on the bottom of my trolling motor. Do any of you like it mounted like this? It seems the easiest way but i can't run with the trolling motor and my reg motor in the water at the same time, so the the trolling motor would have to be out of the water.

2. mjh4

mjh4

Tim b likes this.

3. Joshmo

Joshmo

My uncle and I had two old birds one on each end before I sprung for a new lowrance. Pro: when you have quick drop offs it's easier to follow the edge. That's if you're using two. Downside, I had to get rid of the birds as they interfered with the lowrance. It has mapping, which I nees before I got a queens license and we fish the line. Another note. If you use a trolling mount, I've read you want to disable sonar when it's not in the water as you can burn them up.

4. Tim b

Tim b

Good to know thanks. So basically i would have to turn it on and off every time i pull up the trolling motor .

5. brigeton

brigeton

If you want to troll steep dropoffs a transducer on the trolling motor is invaluable because by the time you see a depth change at the back of the boat it's too late. For running across the lake you either need a second fish finder in the back or a second transducer in the back with a switch to select which transducer you want to use.

6. Joshmo

Joshmo

Yeah. I went out on cousins boat last Saturday SCR. He has transom and trolling motor mounted lowrance. Every time we ran back up, the front wouldn't read correctly. It took about 10 minutes to catch up. I mentioned he should shut it off. After doing so, it worked perfectly every time we ran back up.

7. Tim b

Tim b

I was trying to avoid drilling and sealing in my boat. Looks like i will have to. The one i got has a g p s so i kinda want it on

8. Joshmo

Joshmo

You can always get a suction cup mount if you want to avoid drilling. I bought a 3" sonar for ice fishing. Came with a suction cup. If my other uncle doesn't have electronics on his boat this year I'm going to take it when I go out with him.

9. Zkovach1175

Zkovach1175

My magnetic mount is amazing

10. Tim b

Tim b

Does dicks or cabalis sell them

11. Zkovach1175

Zkovach1175

Tim b likes this.
  12. Tim b

Tim b

13. brigeton

brigeton

You can just turn the sonar off on my Humminbird and leave gps on. Hit the power button and the first thing that pops up is sonar on or off.

14. Tim b

Tim b

Cool I'll have see if i got the same option

15. Tim b

Tim b

No sonar turn off on mine other then turning the unit off. But i did see lots of you tube videos where people were putting them inside a kayak hual only using silicone. Im thinking it will be ok on short pull ups.