close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Motor problems

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species Fishing' started by walleyenut3214, Aug 20, 2017.

1. walleyenut3214

walleyenut3214

Just bought a 18.5 foot tracker targa with a 115 EFI 4 stroke Mercury motor test drove it and checked it all out ran great then but got it home and took it out on the local lake and sputtered and stalled twice at idle speed started back up and it ran great back to the ramp then ran rough again getting it on the trailer. Got it home and noticed the sponge on the air filter was half gone and assume it was ingested in the motor so now im stuck with a boat payment and a motor that dont run right has anyone had this issue or know of a great honest mercury certified mechanic? Any info on how it was fixed or best place to take it would be appreciated really bummed about this.

2. boomer_x7

boomer_x7

Change the filters and oil. If it still runs rough then it may need just adjustment. Sounds like the breathers may be shot and not letting air in. Doesn't mean the motors junk!

walleyenut3214 likes this.

3. U D

U D

Power loading a boat in Michigan is illegal. I can only assume that is why your motor was running when it.."ran rough again getting it on the trailer"
    It could just be bad gas that you stirred up on the way home with it?
    Check fuel filter, maybe drain old gas?

Lockemans
    Finn N Feather Marine - Bayport

4. Kennybks

Kennybks

Nut, sorry to hear about your boat issues. I can relate, very frustrating.

I see you're in Grand Blanc, close would be Freeway sports. I've never had them work on Mercury, but I know they service and are certified.

On M25 west of M15 is Lindys and I've had them do work before.

Shouldn't be big waits this time of year I'm guessing? Good luck.

5. walleyenut3214

walleyenut3214

Thanks...i called mercury today and they said the foam from the filter wont cause my problems...they suggested getting all the gas out and put new marine grade gas and pour in some quick clean he said the stuff works good...gonna try that today along with changing fuel filter. If that doesn't work i will take it to freeway for diagnosis

6. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

Bs. Power loading is not illegal, exceeding an idle speed while loading is. I idle my boats into the trailer, been doing it for years. I am on the trailer, two clicks of the winch, then over to the tiedown area, then out of the lot before the winch it all the way guys are on the trailer.

Scout 2, phantom cls and greg12 like this.
  7. Jimbos

Jimbos

8 weeks a year in Petoskey, 44 in Livonia
    As long as you bury the trailer you're fine, an idle gets it on, most weekend warriors couldn't give a **** less about putting out 2500 to get it on the trailer even if it blows out the end of the concrete.

8. walleyenut3214

walleyenut3214

No i never power load my boats i meant driving it idle speed between guides

9. walleyenut3214

walleyenut3214

Well i changed the plugs and took my boat out and ran it around the lake 50 times ran flawless was thinking the problem was solved but then as soon as i ran it with motor tilted up it all started over again sputtered ran real rough and stalled started and stalled so i checked to see if maybe fuel lines were kinked while tilting nothing looked abnormal sounds crazy but it seems like running the motor trimmed up fouled the plugs??? Maybe i have a bad wire to starter?

10. jampg

jampg

11. twolaketown

twolaketown

I have the same motor. (2002) I had a very similar experience after I bought mine. I ended up having clauged/plugged fuel Injectors, because of myself and the prior owner using normal gasoline. I had to pay about $900.00 and my boat was down for about six weeks, until fixed. Now the boat has never ran better or faster and I only use recreation fuel.

12. bowhunter426

bowhunter426

This is a very commom problem with the 115s. Merc has a new version of that filter/silencer that uses stainless mesh. 35-8m0082911. Replace it now. It will cause the issues you are having.
    You will most likely find pieces of that old filter clogged inside the fuel pressure regulator reference hose inside of the fuel supply module,FSM. Servicing the FSM is a bit of an involved repair. Should be able to find instructions online. I would suggest replacing the filter with the newest one and run it more. The original filter wasnt gas or oil resistant and it is possible it will break down and the blockage will clear.

13. walleyenut3214

walleyenut3214

Thanks guys...well the motor was diagnosed and tech said its the fuel module float switch has one on order and also said fuel line was soft so gonna replace both and i bought the new steel mesh filter on amazon for 66 bucks and will put that on myself supposed to have it back thursday or friday this week.

14. bowhunter426

bowhunter426

15. scottymac

scottymac

Another suggestion Mercury gave me was to run Quickleen all the time I think 1oz for every six gallons. They also suggested Marine STABIL the blue in color. Personally I put it in every tank now unless cheap insurance.

TrackerPro likes this.