Morning sunshine

Discussion in 'Big Lake Cold Water Fishing Reports' started by plugger, May 16, 2018.

1. plugger

plugger Premium Member

I especially like this setup fishing solo around the pier heads where there is a lot to be watching out for besides the rods. Every glance sees three rods.

Copper44 and Highball28 like this.
  2. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

Had a meeting with Ford last night

PICT6154-100-6154.JPG

MISTURN3 and plugger like this.

3. OneidaEagle

OneidaEagle

I do something similar when fishing Solo.

I run the Port Rigger, and a Slide Diver, and then a Planer board, or just 2 Slide Divers.

Never though about doubling up on the riggers, but Yup, When Solo, its so quick to see all three rods.

OE

4. Slimits

Slimits

What was final tally

5. Copper44

Copper44

Plugger. You seem to have the same riggers I do... they happen to be from late 80s early 90s?

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

6. plugger

plugger Premium Member

Probably early 90's. They have caught a lot fish over the years!

7. Bob Hunter

Bob Hunter

I typically run a rigger, diver, and a board on the same side, it opens up the other side of the boat for landing fish also.

Far Beyond Driven likes this.
  8. fishoak

fishoak

I almost always fish solo, will have to try this type of layout.

I've avoided Boards because I thought it would be too hectic trying getting that board off with large salmon when solo...any secrets to managing that effectively?

9. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

Keep the line tight at all times - don't "twang" the line when taking the board off. I run Offshores set to trip with a snap weight release at the back so I can pop them off with one hand. I've seen levers added to the top of Walleye boards so you can squeeze them and the lever pops up and pulls the pin up with it.

When I troll the beach solo for browns I run three boards on the port side so I don't have to watch behind me (14' tiller).

plugger likes this.
  10. plugger

plugger Premium Member

Use a rubber band half hitched to the line and hooked where the board hooks on the line. This prevents the board from sliding down the line and it is much easier and more forgiving to be unhooking the board on a long line vs close to the boat. As with most things, the more you do it the easier it becomes.

11. numberguy77

numberguy77

Been a busy week at work and I'm a little brain dead, so I'm a little slow, but, I'm not following when you say the one on the left or back is the starboard rigger. Are you saying that rod is connected to the cannonball from your starboard side? If so, doesn't that get tangled in your motor? But, maybe I'm not understanding the setup correctly...

Thanks.

12. plugger

plugger Premium Member

It is connected to the cannon ball on the starboard side. the angle of the rod up and back puts the line well clear of the motor. I have the rod in a starboard holder to set the line and then move it over to a port rod holder. I have long arm riggers that I fish at a 45 or straight back so everything is naturally behind the motor . I can turn a full hard lock and the motor and riggers are fine.