Morning Success vs Evening Success

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Flight of the arrow, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Ieatshrooms

Ieatshrooms

2. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin Premium Member

I agree with this. After over a decade of getting up at 330-4am, it ain't too hard to get up at 530-6 to go hunting, or fishing for that matter. Having a young kid now, it is even easier, because past 7 just isn't reality for that lil feller.

Plus, my back is usually killing me by that point and I get up to stretch and/or take a hot shower to loosen up. Might as well go hunting after that.

Funny thing is, when I go hunting in the mornings, little man cuddles up with my wife in bed and the schitts will sleep until 8 or even 9 sometimes!!!! WTF!? Where is that when Dad wants to sleep!? Lol

I literally LOL'd at your comment, then again when I saw the pics!

@LabtechLewis, I have been living life all wrong brother!

3. ridgewalker

ridgewalker

Due to personal circumstances I now hunt afternoons and evenings for the most part. In my earlier years I would hunt most if not all day. Those were also my working years so I made the most of any day that I could hunt.

Most of my deer have been taken in the afternoon especially while bow hunting. The larger bucks that I have taken were evenly split between morning and afternoon. They were either chasing does or were fleeing from other hunters.

November Sunrise likes this.
  4. Fool'em

Fool'em

Funnel between multiple large bedding areas. Some sort of crosswind so deer in bedding areas cannot smell you. Or sometimes just the downwind side of a bedding area with a pinch point to concentrate their movement. To me this is the 9-3 pattern. Early and late I think the bucks are looking for does in places other than bedding.

dinoday and mbrewer like this.
  5. jardno

jardno

2 mornings-8 afternoons

6. sullyxlh

sullyxlh

In the woods lots of deer

On the couch zero deer...

7. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

Knowing that the number of deer hunts available to me are finite and decreasing every day, I'll take everyone of them, successful or not.

8. brushbuster

brushbuster Premium Member

Ive been adopting this approach.

November Sunrise likes this.
  9. rdwings926

rdwings926

Interesting question. For many years deer camp was party camp, not many hunted am because 'don't see any deer, all in the evening.' Imagine that, don't see any deer when your not hunting! Anyhow older and do not know how many seasons are left, partyville is a thing of the past but still do not do many am hunts for bow. I would think dependent on if your spot is closer to bedding or feeding area would be a consideration, anyhow. Seems in my limited am bow hunts see less deer but proportionally more bucks, most 2.5 YO+. Gun, taken more in the evening probably due to selectness as I am fortunate to hunt an area where I see plenty of deer but again 50-50? I can say this, last cpl years I have stayed out all opening day irregardless if I popped one in the am (let em lay, back into the stand) and have been stunned by the few deer I have seen between 12-2 have all been bucks.

10. 7mmsendero

7mmsendero

Past decade 6 in the AM, 2 in the PM. All were 2.5+, and I’ve never really thought about how much better the mornings have been.

There’s nothing better than getting into a stand cleanly for a morning hunt.

LabtechLewis, SPITFIRE and JS714 like this.