Morning Success vs Evening Success

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Flight of the arrow, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Hillsdales Most Wanted

Hillsdales Most Wanted

Big difference between "has" and had. ;)

November Sunrise likes this.
  2. pgpn123

pgpn123

Most of my bigger bucks were in the evening hunt. Didn't realize that until this topic. There's a few memorable morning misses I'd like to have back. Mid day has been productive too. Not as many deer maybe, but some nice ones out and about whether I got a shot or not.

3. Bow hunter on a Mission

Bow hunter on a Mission

It seems when I was a teenager my success rate was higher in the evening as well but if I remember correctly that mattress had a death grip on my back back then. I managed to shake it off most days but it definitely kept me out of the woods several times. Not a problem any more. Easier to get up and I look forward to being out more in the morning now.

4. mbrewer

mbrewer

I have a grand total of one picture of one Doe. Period.

I'm finally getting on some bucks but can't find any Does. That's kind of scary.

Who's hoarding all the Does?

jiggin is livin and Dish7 like this.
  5. mbrewer

mbrewer

Brother Lewis don't drag, he rolls em out in a baby stroller.

True story.

6. Slimits

Slimits

Interested into what people are doing to get lunchtime shooters? Deer drives during gun season?

7. Dish7

Dish7

I always have slicks. The couple of bucks that would get my bow off the hook are still hardcore 3rd shifters.

sniper and November Sunrise like this.
  8. LabtechLewis

LabtechLewis

He ain't lyin'

STC_0003.JPG

STC_0006.JPG

9. mbrewer

mbrewer

Get close to bedding and stay there.

10. Bucman

Bucman

I don't leave the stand

11. mbrewer

mbrewer

Can't find a buck that has both so I'm struggling whether to chase the pounds or inches.

Dish7 and jiggin is livin like this.
  12. Waif

Waif

Some bucks move after the woods quiet mid day. Sun is not taking away part of the periphery vision as well.

A daily walker on a dirt road with state land each side told me about a dandy buck crossing the road around 11:30 A.M. most every day in an area I was bowhunting.
    The firearm opener following , I stayed on stand watching a scrapeline across an overgrown field coming from that road.
    The morning was a zoo. Lots of hunters. Lots of noise from talking loud to slamming doors ect..
    By noon I was alone.
    And the whistle hardly sounded when that buck crossed along that scrapeline.....

Did have a brute elsewhere bumped out of an area he (I assume) had plowed into near me before daylight when hunters were obviously heading out to hunt across the road in a clearcut.
    It was not quite noon yet but hunters were heading back to vehicles.

Another crossed a big field through a strip of cover mid day when the guy who offered his spot to an ex of mine had left with everyone else for lunch.

More cases exist. But it's kind of a lay low till traffic clears kind of thing.
    Then go about the business of being a buck , or like some doe and other deer , get to an area different than where they had laid low during the morning invasion/disruption.

13. JS714

JS714

I've never participated in a drive. The first three days of rifle and at least the last day of rifle (could be a few in between there based on what's happening), I sit all day. Neither of the two were feeding or actively chasing does. They were either cruising or had been kicked up by neighbors. To my knowledge, I had never seen either buck before I shot them in person or on camera.

November Sunrise likes this.
  14. Bucman

Bucman

My day theory for big deer is-they like to cruise the bedding areas for that hottie after the does go back to bed. Easier to check a lot of does when their in the bedding area.

sniper, JS714 and November Sunrise like this.
  15. 83mulligan

83mulligan

Most of the bigger bucks I've killed have been late afternoon/evening cruising for does. I shot a really nice one last year in the morning that was bird dogging a doe, but that is the exception for me. That said, I've seen more younger bucks dogging does in the a.m.

JS714 likes this.