Morning Success vs Evening Success

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Flight of the arrow, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Fool'em

Fool'em

I have always had the most success in the mornings. All of my best bucks have come between 9-1. But I haven’t hunted nearly as hard during the early and late seasons when evening hunts would be more productive.
    I much prefer morning hunts so most of my strategy focuses on that time period.
    I would imagine that if I was able to hunt more in the evenings I would need to change things up and hunt differently.

My daughter had killed 2 deer, both in the morning. She prefers evening hunts because she can’t get the mattress off her back in the morning.

2. dinoday

dinoday

For me
    7-am
    3-pm
    My biggest buck with a bow came in the PM the day after Halloween, my biggest with a gun came 11am on Nov 15th.

I've always preferred morning hunting and I'm sad to say, my afternoon hunting has dropped significantly the last couple years because, honestly, I can't see very good anymore the last half hour of shooting time .
    With a gun and scope I can see just fine, but with my bow and no scope, it's getting harder every year and I pretty much get down at prime time because I don't want to be tempted on a bad shot.

3. o_mykiss

o_mykiss

I don't think I've kept track, but I know for sure every single one of my bucks has been shot in the AM during the first 2 weeks of November

Does it's probably closer to 60/40 morning and evening. I probably hunt about 70/30 morning to evening though.

I much prefer morning hunts because I absolutely love watching the world wake up with the sun.

Early season, evening hunts seem more productive. Rut, morning hunts. Late season, afternoon again is my preference

4. JS714

JS714

I've been whitetail hunting for 46 years, yikes! Two shooters during those years at midday and they have both been in the last decade. Both surprised me, came from odd directions, were alone, and were shot on November 17th. Needless to say, I always hunt all day on the 17th now...LOL.

5. LabtechLewis

LabtechLewis

I had to go farther back in the records:

2019 10/19 am 3YO
    2018 10/18 pm 3YO
    2017 11/22 pm 3YO
    2017 11/10 pm 2YO
    2016 11/16 pm 1YO
    2016 11/4 am 2YO
    2015 10/30 am 3YO
    2014 11/16 am 3YO
    2014 10/1 am 1YO
    2013 10/24 am 1YO

6. sniper

sniper

I have 11 bucks on my wall that were worth mounting. 6 were shot in the morning and 5 at night. I would guess my morning/night kills for all deer are split right down the middle. I’ve never shot a nice buck at midday but I’ve seen a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

7. canam400

canam400

My last 10 bucks have been split evenly - 5 in the AM and 5 in the PM. All were after Oct 28.
    Four were before 10 AM,
    One at 11:30 AM
    Two between 3 PM and 4 PM
    Three after 4 Pm

8. mbrewer

mbrewer

I much prefer morning hunts for a lot of the same reasons as everyone else.

Mid day has been very good to me over the years but my on topic response suggests that historically PM kills have a slight edge over AM, Last 10 deer have been split down the middle with afternoons on a roll lately.

Flight of the arrow likes this.
  9. mbrewer

mbrewer

Me too. I welcome the ticking of the clock in the AM but dread it in the PM.

Roman1, Radar420, NbyNW and 4 others like this.
  10. Bucman

Bucman

8 evening
    2 morning
    Mostly because I get more time to hunt evenings

11. Bucman

Bucman

I killed my 3 of my biggest deer between 11-2 midday

12. Dish7

Dish7

Taking an inventory of mounts and euros, I'm at 9 evening, 9 morning and one that I would classify mid day. Everytime a question like this comes up and makes me think back, I start remembering all the close calls and screw ups I have had, lol.

@LabtechLewis Way to rub in all those doe kills to guy who has no does. @Hillsdales Most Wanted

Roman1, Radar420, NbyNW and 7 others like this.
  13. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin Premium Member

Plus, they taste just as good or better! As a bonus, you don't have to mess with those pesky antlers that hang up on everything while you drag! :hide:

14. LabtechLewis

LabtechLewis

You picked up on that, eh? I love that guy's authenticity. I also love DMAPs. They make firearm season great again. What can I say? Neighbors keep telling me about their doe factories. Just trying to help...

15. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin Premium Member

You love DMAP's too!?

One of the farms down the road shoot ~250-300 a year! That is just ONE farm. No shortage of venison around these parts!

I dread buying beef, because I rarely do. When I do I scoff at the price. Last couple years we go in on a cow with our parents and oddly enough it doesn't hurt my wifes stomach. Store bought will wreck her and she is out for the day. We eat A LOT of venison, more than anyone I know.

Doe factories are awesome! Plus with all that going on, they are still every where.

LabtechLewis likes this.