Morning Success vs Evening Success

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Flight of the arrow, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Uncle Boopoo

Uncle Boopoo

10/06 AM doe ................... 11/23 PM buck
    12-16 AM buck
    10/07 AM doe
    11/15 AM buck
    10/04 AM doe
    10/30 AM buck
    10/03 AM doe
    11/16 AM buck
    10/23 AM buck

9 to 1 ratio for me

The only evening buck was public land. The December morning buck was also public and everything else was from a private alder swamp.

2. bowhunter426

bowhunter426

Is Noon morning or evening?
    6 AM
    3 Noon
    1 PM

3. fishingninja1

fishingninja1

I really think this has to do with where you are sitting (some spots are just better in morning or evening), and get this....when you're in the woods ;). gotta be out there to whack em!

Really tho I only have 2 bucks and 1 am, 1 pm.

4. old graybeard

old graybeard

5. Slimits

Slimits

Michigan- most of them in evenings. Out of state - almost all in mornings

6. SPITFIRE

SPITFIRE

I am about 50% either way but prefer AM for watching the woods wake up at first light and easier tracking. first week of Nov my best action is morning but mostly hunt bedding during that time.

7. Bow hunter on a Mission

Bow hunter on a Mission

6 am 4 pm but with that being said these numbers don’t tell the whole story. The fact that I’ve killed more in the morning out of my last 10 bucks really says something. Because of work I’ve hunted far more evenings than mornings and yet I’ve killed more bucks in the morning. Never really thought about it before. Interesting.....

8. crossneyes

crossneyes

From October 20 on ,morning is good on the farm I hunt. Not sure on numbers but certainly have taken more in the am.
    First sit this year will be Friday morning!

9. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin Premium Member

3AM, you running a silencer!? Lol

I have only recently started enjoying morning hunts more, and like mentioned, it leaves you with the rest of the day to do things without artificial light.

IMO though, it matters on the spot you hunt. I have spots, confirmed by cameras, that are just natural morning or afternoon spots. Just depends on WHY the deer are in that area. That is why I say that my newest learning curve that I am having fun with and has been extremely useful is figuring out the WHY to the deer movement and activity. Like bedding, food, cover and transitioning to and from.

I would have to think pretty hard, but I have had good success with morning kills for having hunted wayyy less of them.

I simply don't get to hunt as many mornings as I do afternoons though.

10. William H Bonney

William H Bonney

I never hunt evenings with my bow. Tracking deer in the dark blows.

11. Hillsdales Most Wanted

Hillsdales Most Wanted

Thought we were talking bucks??

LabtechLewis likes this.
  12. Wild Thing

Wild Thing

This is probably a pretty "Loaded" question as there are so many variables. That being said I went back through our camp log and recorded the last 50 bucks we have killed. We have kept very good records over the years so our log contains the time, date, location, age and weight of all deer killed.

Not surprisingly, here is what the numbers revealed:

6 AM - 11 AM - 22 Bucks

11 AM - 3 PM - 4 Bucks (of course, nobody hunts much during mid-day)

3 PM - 6 PM - 24 Bucks

To further cloud the issue, the majority of these bucks were 3 1/2 + years of age. We have passed on hundreds of yearlings and 2 year olds during this period so if we were hunting younger deer the numbers may be different...but I doubt it. If you are out there hunting you will see and kill deer.

This is on our private property in the "Banana Belt" of the U.P. - 160 acres of primarily heavily wooded forest except for our own food plots.

IMG_1571.jpg

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    vsmorgantown, NbyNW, 3X8 and 5 others like this.
  13. bucknasty11208

bucknasty11208

Thanks Flight! Im flying in on November 6th and we're going to try to make it up and have camp set by the night of the 7th. Hoping to hit it right!

14. Snowlover 77

Snowlover 77

5 AM and 5 PM for the last ten.

But that's probably kind of skewed. I was on a mission to harvest a few does once rifle season started last year, so there were four harvested all evening in rifle/muzzle season, as I could sneak out of work a bit early and be sitting by 4 PM or so.

Thinking over all the deer in my life, I am thinking it's about 60% evening/40% morning.

Flight of the arrow likes this.
  15. Slimits

Slimits

Never have seen a lunchtime shooter in 24 years of hunting. Only time im sitting all day is during rut but it has never paid off