More ultralight goodness

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by tincanary, Jul 6, 2020.

1. tincanary

tincanary

I'm wondering how this guy will compare to my ultralight Daiwas. What we have here is an Abu Revo ALC-BF7, one of two of Abu Garcia's entries into the ultralight baitcast market. I went ahead and flushed and oiled the bearings, tweaked the brake, and spooled it with some 2lb Maxima. Now to take it out in the yard and dial it in. Did I mention how light this thing is? I put it on my scale and it came out to 4.97 ounces. Whew! I'm kind of digging the aluminum frame and carbon fiber side plate construction, but man does it feel like a toy.

revoalcbf7.jpg

2. fishrod

fishrod

How much does something like that go for? Just curious.

3. tincanary

tincanary

This one was about $175 shipped but I found it super cheap on Amazon Japan. Otherwise it's $300.

4. tincanary

tincanary

My initial impression in the yard is very positive. The brake is more finicky than the braking system used in the Daiwa reels, so I added more magnets to dial it in further. The reel comes with 3 magnets installed but the box includes 7 additional magnets for fine tuning. I figured I'd add them all and go from there. I was able to cast a bare 1/16 jig head (hook removed) a good distance, but where it shines is in short accurate casts. I placed a few 5 gallon buckets in places around the yard for targets and this thing shines doing underhanded pitches. It behaves better than my Daiwa Air Stream Custom with such a technique, but the Daiwa still beats it for overall distance. I could probably remove a magnet or two to make up for it, but then I'll give up a little control of the spool. This weekend I'll probably take it to one of the marinas around and see how she handles bass and panfish. So far so good!

kennyb1, fisheater, 50incher and 3 others like this.