More problems

Discussion in 'Sound Off (MichiganForums.com)' started by Riva, May 3, 2018.

1. Riva

Riva Sponsor

a lonesome area, other Kansans call "out there".
    Over the last few days, I was trying to charge the lawnmower's battery. Didn't take the charge so I purchased a new battery. Well, that didn't fix the mower problem. Today, I went to plug my drill into the same plug and zip, no power from the plug. I tripped everything on the panel, still no power to that plug. Everything in the entire house works but not that plug. I'm thinking the charging of that old battery might have fried that plug. Help.

2. jatc

jatc

Assuming this is in your garage. Look to see if there are any other plugs in the garage that are GFCI style. If there is, then it is probably tripped and resetting it will engage the outlet you are having problems with. To save a few bucks, many homeowners will only put in one GFCI in their garage or kitchen and then run all the other room plugs through that one, which in theory makes them all GFCI protected, but not really how it should be done.

3. Riva

Riva Sponsor

There is one other plug in the garage and that only serves the garage door (ceiling.) There are 2 GFCI plugs in the kitchen, one directly against the same wall in the garage. I tripped every GFCI plugs in the entire house.

4. jatc

jatc

Dang. That was going to be my next suggestion. You are sure the GFCI outlets in the kitchen are working?

OH-YEAH!!! likes this.
  5. hommer23

hommer23

Have you tried to plug something else into the outlet? Maybe it’s the drill that’s fried, brushes do go bad or moisture will cause dead spots in the armature

6. Waif

Waif

A non contact voltage tester ( beep! ) runs around 10 bucks.Will tell you where you have juice.
    Good to have around.

7. Riva

Riva Sponsor

Yes, nothing works in that plug. Took the drill into the kitchen, works fine. Thinking the battery charger fried the plug.

8. WALLEYE MIKE

WALLEYE MIKE Staff Member Mods

You need to keep a handyman on retainer.
    My buddies wife does (he can turn on a light switch let alone fix something) and thats me.

A plug will go bad once in a while.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    FREEPOP and augustus0603 like this.
  9. imjon

imjon

Try sticking a fork in the socket.....ok, maybe not.
    Assuming you've checked your panel box and made sure nothing was tripped, unless you have an electrical wizard friend you're probably best off calling an electrician.
    I asked an electrical engineer (big stuff, power distribution. Like a zillion amp/watt/volts coming into a factory that needs to be planned out as to how to wire the factory for the machines and outlets) a quick home electrical question and his answer to why the system was screwed up was it's f****** magic.
    I thought about it a while and decided he was probably correct. That's been my go to answer now for many years.

Far Beyond Driven likes this.
  10. multibeard

multibeard Premium Member

Pull the outlet and check for a loose wire. or a burned outlet.

Before GFCI's my boss, the electrician, worked a couple hours one evening trying to figure out why the dining room lights did not work in a house.He turned it over to me the next morning. After crawling around in the blown in insulation filled with cat crap for an hour looking for a junction box, I noticed an outlet in the recess of the T-111 siding out side of the dinning room. When I pulled the cover I found a totally fried out let. The splash from the eaves had run down the siding into the box shorting out the outlet. I had to go to town to get a tube of silicone to keep the water out in the future.

11. Northernfisher

Northernfisher

You could have a bad circuit breaker.

If you are comfortable doing it; take the cover off your box and test the output of the breaker with a test meter.

If it is good, test the box again. If the box is still not working - turn off the breaker and replace the box.

One of these will pay for itself in no time IF you know how to use it.

[​IMG]

12. MEL

MEL

If I were you I would grab a few bottles of that swill you peddle here and start drinking......heavily. Pay some one else to cut the friggen grass.

oldforester, U of M Fan and Eric Bee like this.
  13. dogditcher

dogditcher

14. hommer23

hommer23

Take the cover off and look at the wires coming in, if only one wire then it’s the end of the circuit if two wires then it’s the middle of a circuit. If it’s the end you will have to trace the wire back to find the joint just prior to the plug, it may have come loose. Some people don’t twist the wires together when making a joint and rely on the wire nut to hold. If it’s in the middle of a circuit you might have a joint right behind the plug with pigtails coming out, start there to make sure the joints are tight. Another 5ing it could be is, when the plug was put in they used the push connection in the back instead of the side screws. When people do that they tend to cut the with to deep when stripping and that will cause the wire to break over time.

If you want a easy way to test for power or find wires in the wall get a tone tracer from a box store.

15. hommer23

hommer23

Was not trying to be a smart ...., I helped a fried that said he didn’t have power and tried everything. He was testing with a old saw that he didn’t use very often, well when I plugged my tester in the plug had power.