More European Mount ?'s but with a kit...

Discussion in 'Taxidermy' started by NittanyDoug, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Dom

Dom

Looking good Arrow Hawk, nice work. I know what it takes, and you do get a system down where the time it takes decreases with experience. I've got several with the teeth, just don't have any of those super duper plaques you got made there! Nice job. I've got a whole bucket full to finish up yet, winter project, since they're all boiled & cleaned already.

Good luck MGV, and they are easier if not shot in the head :), Dom.

2. rickw

rickw

i also bought the cabela's kit and tried it for the first time last year. Worked great I used a coathanger for the brains too that was great. After I applied the paste I even sprayed lacker on there. I thought it was a neat look and so far the skull hasn't gotten dingy or yellow like many do with bleaching. be careful when putting the paste around the antlers though I was applying some finishing touches and just barely grazed the bases and messed it up. oh well as I look around many people do that as well. Overall I had 4 hours of work on it! good luck!

3. NMUTrapper22

NMUTrapper22

im understanding all of this but, is there anything that you can put on the skull after bleaching?

4. TrackerCasey

TrackerCasey

Dropping a marble in the brain cavity while it is hot from boiling and shaking it around helps break up the brain then it just falls out.

5. Ryno

Ryno

Myself and a couple friends just got done with our annual "Boil-a-thon". 5 deer and 1 coyote was the day's tally, I think. I usually come close to puking when digging the brain out too.

Anyway, I made a quick YouTube video of the process and wrote a "how to" blog post. URLs to both are below. Most of my advice mirrors that of what others have posted previously, which is great b/c I guess it means we're doing something right. Definitely comment on my blog post if you have any additional advice.

URL for HD European skull mount video:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/110sunview#p/u/5/V1lM03CxZp0&hd=1

Blog post with equipment list, pics, and instructions:
    http://ecosportsmen.com/?p=256

6. MGV

MGV

Well i did not learn from the head shot buck. I am in the process of doing a road kill special. Jaw bone was shattered and the back the skull fell apart. Bad blood clotting in the nasal cavity again. This time just slowly worked it with the peroxide water and it seems to have whitened up decent. So far it is glued back together and looks ok. To many small pieces to get it back together fully.

7. iLiveInTrees

iLiveInTrees

I do a lot of European mounts on the side. VanDykes Taxidermy has a great kit, with everything needed. The sodium carbonate is added to boling water, and makes the flesh "jelly-like" and falls off fairly easy.

Use pliers to get hard to reach areas inside the nose, eyes, brain cavity, and a wire wheel attached to a cordless drill to get the more stubborn flesh off.

Add dawn dishsoap to the boiling water, it takes the grease away, which aids in the bleaching process. Again, wash the skull in your laundry tub, or bucket like you would a dish. Removes nasty greases and dirt. Allow the skull time to fully dry, so the peroxide is not diluted by the water left over on the skull.

The kit comes with high stregnth Hydrogen Peroxide, and a powder, that when mixed, makes a paste that is applied to the finished skull. Repeat the process and the skull will come out looking great.

*A tip, spend time taking out the brain, and removing the lower jaw, and as much of the thick meat as possible, before boiling. Makes the process go much quicker, I can have a whole deer head turned into a European mount, ready for bleaching in about 1-1/2 - 2 hours.

8. natures way jeff

natures way jeff

did you fix and finish this yet? jeff

9. Woods Before Water

Woods Before Water

I also was ordering mine from either van dykes or wasco, but found it is actually cheaper at most beauty supply stores. and easier to get when you need it now. LOL

10. motorcityskulls

motorcityskulls

if you want to whiten on the cheap 3%peroxide soak works. If you want fast go to a beauty shop and get their hair whitening solution 20% peroxide. To seal on the cheap use mop and glow. if you have to touch up the horns for the whitening on the cheap use a thinned out oak stain or coffee grounds.

11. DryFly

DryFly

I have done many European mounts (110 heads last fall). It is a lot of work and a messy job.
    My process allows me to complete a mount and have it ready for the customer in a week's time.
    I make $80 for each mount. Not much money for the work but I like the results and the customer satisfaction. Being a wood worker also, I have nice looking rustic wood slabs. I believe the base makes the difference. Keep at it and you will find it rewarding.
    PA160010.JPG PC240021.JPG PA210020.JPG DSCF0959.JPG

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    fishrod, Dtb810 and gatorman841 like this.
  12. Carmine

Carmine

Totally worth it.