More European Mount ?'s but with a kit...

Discussion in 'Taxidermy' started by NittanyDoug, Nov 20, 2007.

1. NittanyDoug

NittanyDoug

I know there is alot interest in the european mounts. Well I bought a kit and started it. I had hoped to have it done so I could take it to my parents' in PA on Wednesday. Perhaps I should have waited....

I bought the Cabelas kit. I've boiled/cooked the two cycles but I still have "meat" on the bottom side and back of the skull. Plus part of the skull by the nostrils is still a little "pink".

Right now I had to move on to other things, like sleep, work, wife....

The skull and jaw is soaking in water. What can I do to get this off the skull? Should I worry about it and just bleach it?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for any help. Do I have hope of getting this done and taking it?

2. MGV

MGV

Looks good so far. Looks like it will whiten nicely after it drys. I will bleach them with as little meat on as possible. Then i let it dry for a couple of days and then pick at it with a knife, wire, plyers or whatever will get in those cracks. I have heard of people using a wire brush on them. But that area has some soft breakable bones in it to wire brush it. After you do this picking i would do a short amount of bleaching if there are any really dark areas from where the meat was. How did you like getting the brain out?

3. mikieday

mikieday

in my opinion get all the meat off (make sure you get the brain out too)...i use a wire brush (you can get tiny ones at the auto parts or hardware store) ...

looks good so far, just a touch of elbow grease and you will have a great mount

4. NittanyDoug

NittanyDoug

I almost lost it on the brain. I had some come out and then I stuck my gloved finger in there to help it and I had it squirt all over. I almost stopped right then and there. I'm going to pick up another wire brush. I think brass or bronze bristels are what I want (possibly even a plastic) to get more of it off. I'll give it one more go over with the brushes and then I'll probably bleach it so I can take it and if I need to do more picking when I get home, then I can do that.

Thanks for the help. I was sure I was way off track. I spent 5 hours on it last night and I never thought I would have spent that much time. I think I still have that smell in my nose...

5. dsmithgall

dsmithgall

Can you understand now why most taxidermist will charge about $175 for this job?, plus they usually put it on a really nice walnut base..
    Get ALL the meat off of it before you bleach it, if you don't the meat will bleach yellow, and it won't look so good. Plus under that meat is still oil/grease... you have most of the hard part done, now just takes some attention to detail and some much needed picking and cleaning.. Good luck!

6. NittanyDoug

NittanyDoug

Without a doubt, I understand why they charge what they charge. If this was a monster rack, there's no way I'd be doing this myself. The "meat" that is still on it, is all on the back/underside where the neck joins in. I figure I want all of it gone that way I don't have "rotting meat" hanging on the wall smelling up the place.

7. woodencanoe

woodencanoe

The shop that butchered my deer did my deers skull into a Texas mount for $25 bucks. So cheap I won't do no more myself. They use a pressure washer he said, looks nice. When I did my own I would use car bondo on the back area [brain cavity hole] then drill a hole there to hang it by. Sorta hung with the nose up alittle off the wall like a reg. mount. I'd use white spray paint on them to.

8. skyhawk1

skyhawk1

When I do my skulls I boil it for awhile and I use 4 different kinds of small craft knives. They are flexible enough to get into the small areas. Then when I get off ALL the meat I bleach it. I do all kinds of animal skulls not just deer. I have coon,beaver,fox,muskrat,possium. I would like to do a yote skull.I would like to have a skull of every animal I hunt still have alot to get though.The ones I do are full skulls.

9. bigjonbuck

bigjonbuck

what percentage of bleach to water do you guys use and for how long do you soak it. I've also herd of people using hydrogen peroxide. witch is easier and which is better.

10. MGV

MGV

Use the 3% peroxide in about 2 gallons of water. Watch it on the burner every 15 minutes. Some go really fast others will take up to 1 hour.

Otherwise use the basic white clarol powder and the 30% peroxide paste. Just watch your hands and eyes the stuff will burn you

11. ArrowHawk

ArrowHawk

There are alot of tricks to doing them. I have done alot of them already this year.

You need to boil it one more time but keep an eye on it, then bleach it.

The brain matter should have just fell out with alittle shake, then all you had to have done is removed the membrain from inside.

I have a completed one in my gallery and will post a few more when they are done, I have 4 of them to get donethis week. Also check out InTheRiver's gallery, I did that one for him as well.

12. NittanyDoug

NittanyDoug

I'm doing a little bit of final spot bleaching/peroxiding. By tonight it should be totally complete. I'm pretty happy with the look. How do you get all of the linings out of the sinus area. I can see a little tint of black behind some of the thin bone. I've got a little odor too that I would guess is coming from there. Will the odor eventually go away?

13. skyhawk1

skyhawk1

I use small pipe cleaners to get into them tiny holes. they are soft enought and flexiable to get everything out. I never had a problem with order when I was done bleaching.

14. NittanyDoug

NittanyDoug

I'm not even sure how to get into those little spots.... I'm doing the paste bleaching and not the submersed bleaching.

15. Dom

Dom

I always take brain out BEFORE boiling, as well as all hide, eyes, etc. After boiling, take the brain casing out, if you don't, that is one thing that WILL smell. Bent coat hanger hook gets brain out, needle nose pliers and exacto SHARP knife gets eyes out. After it's boiled is the time to scrape whatever is left off (I pull out all the nasal stuff), if the front nose bone separated, save and glue back in with Elmers when dry, then let dry for a day or two or a week, then submerse in the 3 percent peroxide for a few hours (not antlers tho) and put in the sun, Waidmannsheil, Dom.