More Disease Concerns for 2 Counties

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by Luv2hunteup, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

The circles indicate where farmers have recently introduced bTB into the environment. The MDARD is going to have a hard time selling a bTB free status to the USDA in all but the 4 NELP counties. Next week’s meeting should shed some light on the possible loss of bTB free accreditation.

As of this moment I plan on attending one of the meetings. It should be a good opportunity to gain access to some land for deer hunting.

As of this moment the special January southern Alpena County Hunt has not been scheduled. I have heard but not confirmed that disease control permits have been issued and USDA Wildlife Services shooter’s are hard at work.

ADE14321-366A-40F5-8C7C-405053E5B492.jpeg BE27A4FB-ABD3-4A63-A64D-F10C7F55DE87.jpeg B

Scout 2 and jr28schalm like this.

2. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Meetings are today and tomorrow. I’ll be at one today.

3. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

There was not any good news that came out of tonight’s meeting. The bad news was we didn’t gain any access to hunt yet.

My buddy and I were the only hunters that attended the meeting. The DNR made the afternoon meeting and not the evening meeting. The USDA, MDARD, MSU extension and Wildlife Services sent PHDs of techs. WS state director was present.

Power point presentations were part of the evening events starting with how bTB has been present since the early 1,900s. Graphs along with lots of data we see on the site was also included. Yes cattle introduced bTB into the environment.

The bottom line cattle farmers were blaming deer for causing their economic losses not the industry who brought bTB to the environment. These farmers needed to blame someone except their practices.

The USDA and MDARD was asking for solutions. At that point you could hear a mouse pissing in cotton 50 yards away.

Finally discussion started when one farmer told the crowd that PI county had 1/4 million deer. I did ask him how many deer that he needed shot off his land. 200 was the answer he provided. At that point I had to ask how many hunters he invited in his land to shoot deer. He was honest and said he didn’t allow any hunters. He did say he shot up to 40 and let them lay for the coyotes to eat. At that point others spoke up and told their stories of their neighbors and guests only hunted for big antlers. No one would shoot a doe.

Once the chatter calmed down it was all the DNRs fault. We offered assistance in shooting does once late season antlerless season opened. At that point it became very clear that those in attendance leased a vast majority of their land from individuals who did not want any deer killed under farming leases. The biggest voice in the room leased 18 farms from landowners who were hunters. He could not give permission to anyone to hunt but wanted in mandated by the DNR that they had to kill deer.

Now for the bad news. Free disease control permits will be available for PI county. Unlike the rest of the state these permits will be good during the entire deer season because farmers don’t want to test their cattle at less than 3 year intervals and any cattle less than 2 years of age. WS shooters will be filling permits on farms where they have identified habituated farm deer too.

My input for the meeting was for the USDA and MDARD to ask the DNR for HAP funds for regular season and a special January hunt to open up land for hunting.

I did meet with the state director of Wildlife Services on getting permits for a friend for deer and migratory birds for the airports he owns. That alone was well worth the trip and evening spent. I’m sure I’ll help filling some of those tags.

Hopefully our names will get passed along by the director as volunteer hunters for filling PI county disease control permits.

Stand By, JPWARD, Justsayin and 2 others like this.
  4. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Two handouts. Note when they can be used in PI county.

B6299E17-D4CC-4886-898D-12872D9B8A57.jpeg 5FF1B0F8-A01D-40E4-B2DF-FC94FB2AA315.jpeg

5. jatc

jatc

Not understanding why you feel it is a bad thing that guys can use the tags during deer season. What is the issue with it?

6. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

A few reasons come to mind.
    Free tags to the industry who introduced bTB into the environment and continues to transport infected animals across the state.
    Firearms only all day every day, 365 day season.
    Every tag is good for a buck, doe or fawn.
    The number of tags issued can as many as the land owner wants plus all it takes is a call to the DNR to change the name of the designated shooter.
    24 hour deer hunting for Wildlife Services shooters.

I hopes this helps.

7. jatc

jatc

Ok. Thanks. I feel your pain. My farm is in Montcalm County and a 24/7/365 open deer season is what many are calling for to combat disease in that area, mainly because they hunt elsewhere and are only looking to protect their own interests.... many posters on this very forum in fact have taken on that particular management philosophy....

8. JPWARD

JPWARD

Luv2–thanks for taking the time and effort to have a hunters voice at these meetings. The problem in that area is having all the deer concentrated on the farms and farmers not allowing hunters access. The state land in that area is nearly devoid of deer due to unlimited doe tags allowed for the entire county public and private land. Needs to be some kind of carrot or stick approach to get doe hunters onto private cattle and crop farms in the area.

9. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

The biggest complaint was from farmers who lease not own farm ground. They want to force their landlords into killing deer they don’t want to. I did not hear about one property that was not already hunted, farmer or hunter owned.

I’m hearing rumors of a meeting that is being planned at Jays on September 17th to put cattle farmers and hunters together to discuss the disease and access issue. It’s truly is a we problem. The DNR is supposed to host it.

The MDARD does not want the USDA to implement the memorandum of understanding that was agreed upon both sides. There is no doubt that PI county farmers don’t want the entire state to become part of the MAZ because of their lack of testing. At the very least PI county should be included under the Bio Security Zoning order.

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/...NAL-_DIGITALVERSION_wo_signature_619715_7.pdf