More cattle in Alpena county with bTB

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by hear fishie fishie, Apr 28, 2019.

1. hear fishie fishie

hear fishie fishie

Saw a report on tv5 that a small beef cattle operation in Alpena county tested positive for bTB .
    Didnt have any other details.
    Anybody know anymore details?
    Hear Fishie Fishie

2. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

In the 90's BTB was rampant up there. We used to get huge numbers of deer (nuisance permits) off of farms adjacent to the clubs up there that were running yer round feeders.....

3. hear fishie fishie

hear fishie fishie

Thanks for posting.
    Not a lot of information in the article.
    It was noted that was a small beef cattle operation but no mention of size of herd.
    The small freezer beef herds weren't tested in the past. That just started recently. The news did say that addition small herds were to be tested.
    Maybe the cattle/small freezer herds are spreading the bTB and not the deer.
    Think that is what department of ag is investigating.
    Hear Fishie Fishie

4. Downsea

Downsea Premium Member

I couldn't find anything more on it.

5. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

MDARD will more than likely hold a meeting in the impacted township. They will not give out the cattle farmers name but if you ask to see where the circle testing is taking place they have a copy of it on hand. Latent TB is in all the cattle in the NELP, all it takes is a stressor to make it active.

Depending on where the meeting is I may go. You never know when a landowner will grant you access.

Latest quarterly report.
    https://www.michigan.gov/documents/...ProgramApr2019QtrlyUpdate4.15.19_652610_7.pdf

jr28schalm likes this.
  6. hear fishie fishie

hear fishie fishie

Article posted by Downsea said there wont be any public meetings as it's in an area where they have already held meetings.

7. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

6496D714-D478-476C-B169-C5B11F64BC5B.jpeg

From what I could find out the cattle herd was from Wilson twp where the highest amount of disease control permits were issued and filled. 19 properties were leased by the DNR in Wilson twp for the January Special Hunt. We did drive around Wilson twp to gain access to properties where we saw deer without any luck.

I may go down to the meeting to see if I can gain access for hunting this fall.