Montana Draw

Discussion in 'Out of state hunts' started by buckykm1, Apr 24, 2018.

1. buckykm1

buckykm1

My Friend and I are happy, I checked the MT draw results last night, and we drew our Elk tags.
    we are looking forward to another Great trip to Gods Country.

Kevin

I'm hoping for this guys big brother this year. lol
    IMG_1039.JPG

FREEPOP, Lumberman, Mr Mom and 4 others like this.
  2. Forest Meister

Forest Meister

I was not so lucky.

Good luck out there but if you don't get his big brother don't feel too bad. Much bigger than that and even the hamburger would probably be tough!. FM

buckykm1 likes this.

3. The Doob

The Doob

Same here Forrest, I got the so sorry results yesterday as well. Major bummer as my son lives in Bozeman and we had grand plans for this years adventure. He says there is still a slight chance that I could pick up a left over tag but I am not to hopeful.

Still going to head out and hunts birds, upland and waterfowl, and maybe pick up a bear tag but I am still in a slight state of depression right now.

It will be a real kick in the gnads if I don't get drawn for Colorado muzzle loader mule deer. Unfortunately, I have to wait until the first week in June to find out about that.

FREEPOP likes this.
  4. shanny28757

shanny28757

You already have a pretty good idea whether you will draw Co muzzy based on your preference points and the draw in the past couple years.

5. The Doob

The Doob

Actually, no I don't. I didn't have preference points but the guys that I know that have went there four times previously have always gotten drawn without them. But then again, I've always been drawn for Montana prior to this year.

6. shanny28757

shanny28757

In Colorado all draws are based on preference points. You can look up the unit and hunt you applied for and see how many PP's it took last year to get a tag. You can also find out how many non-residents applied for that tag with 0 points. It won't be exact, but since you know how many tags will be issued and can approximate the number of applicants based on previous years you can get a good idea of your odds to draw.

The Doob likes this.
  7. The Doob

The Doob

Well, it took an old fart like me a bit to find the data but it looks like there was a 100% draw for non-residents in the zone we applied for, regardless of preference points.
    Thanks for the heads up Shanny

8. shanny28757

shanny28757

That’s the one I’ve thing about Colorado. In most scenarios you pretty much know where you stand. Looking at the last couple years will show you how many people at each PP level apply with surprising consistency (point creep and other factors like winter kill aside).

Makes it a little easier to plan your fall schedule.

9. Forest Meister

Forest Meister

There may be some hope. Just found out there are several hundred elk only tags left. FM

10. The Doob

The Doob

My son (lives in Bozeman) told me the same thing but I didn't have the hook up for elk like I did the mule deer. If he is able to change that, I may try to pick one up.

11. HookedUp

HookedUp

No draw for me to. 8 years and nothing. Grrr I hate how they do it. At least other states you have a good idea how long it will take. Oh well still fun to get out there for deer. Hopefully a goat tag or cow elk could still happen.