Mono vs braided

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by CrankyThunder, May 17, 2020.

1. tincanary

tincanary

I use many different lines, depends on what I'm fishing for. Some of my reels are spooled with 30lb and 50lb Power Pro, those are more for fishing toothy critters or areas with a lot of wood and spinach. Ultralight and light I run 4lb and 6lb Maxima. For 8lb mono and heavier, Big Game is hard to beat. It's fantastic on baitcasters, not so much on spinning reels. You could weave a basket with it but it won't let you down. As for fluorocarbon, I've tried quite a few brands. Im not a big fan, probably won't find it on any of my reels.

2. CDN1

CDN1

Mono.....has stretch and memory ( memory means it coils) it floats and will get brittle and weak after a season or 2 especially if left in a car in the hot sun. ( good for top water, and crank baits) $ lowest price point.

Fluoro.....is nearly invisible in the water, it sinks, has some memory but not like mono. Good for spooky fish, clear water, places with heavy fishing pressure and allows baits to run deeper. Will break down but not like mono. $$ Mid range price point can be $$$ if going to specific leader material.

Braid..... has no memory ( tangles easily) super strong. No Strecth. Knot specific , floats until saturated.
    Best used where sensitivity is needed and super strong. Braid is good for places like the St Clair and Detroit river with heavy current ( jigging) allows you to run thin diameter line but get good strength and best feel. Super strong to pull Fish from heavy cover. It will cut you if reafed on and requires a backing of some kind on the spool. $$$ most expensive price point.

Pick your poison each line has its place. A avid fisher person will have rod and reels spooled with all 3.
    For an all purpose line, thin braid using a leader of fluoro seems to be the most popular. Make sure you use the right knots for each type of line and their leaders.

Mr Burgundy, Brian027 and -Axiom- like this.

3. -Axiom-

-Axiom- Premium Member

In addition, Flourocarbon breaks down and has an expiration date, flourocarbon is also very hard which makes it abrasion resistant.

Nanofil has many of the properties of braid except the very important abrasion resistence, it doesn't soak up water, it floats, it is good for a few yrs also.

CDN1 likes this.
  4. tincanary

tincanary

My issue with fluorocarbon is once you get a good kink in it, it's pretty roached. Kinks can ruin the integrity of fluorocarbon to a much higher degree than mono. It's fine as a leader material, but if you get a nasty backlash deep in the spool, you will want to respool. I have yet to see a difference in hookup rate using fluoro over a high quality mono. I've tried a few; Seaguar Tatsu, Sunline Sniper, Seaguar Invizx, and P-Line Floroclear. I'll be sticking with Maxima UG, Sufix Advance, and Big Game.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    mbirdsley likes this.
  5. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

What you described is why I like using p-line flouro clear or any other type flouro coated co-polymer. I use flouro coated polymer on moving baits just to hide the line a bit. Plus it is smaller dia than mono which, helps get cranks deeper.

I have 8 lbs segar red label spooled up on my m/l dobyns colt with c-30 cemar. Stuff works but, it is a night mare. I only put on 50-60 yards at a time. I first spooled it up in March and I just killed the spool yesterday. Wind knots like no other and like you said it links and it’s done. I only use 100% Flouro for ned rigs and other finesse stuff

Recently bought some kast king 20 lbs flouro co-polymer that I was originally just going to use for leader material on my 30 lbs braid rod. However, I spooled it up on my recently bought extra bait caster that I’m using for swim jigs. So far the stuff is good and it’s cheap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

Once u put some hrs in on that cast king stuff u should update us. I've been looking at it for awhile now.

mbirdsley likes this.
  7. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

I will. I’m interested to see myself. That rod will be extra/loaner rod/swim jig rod/ extra heavy jig flipping rod. So it should get used a bit

Saturday I lost a 20 inch bass at the boat and landed a big 16 incher on with the line spooled on the reel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 25, 2020