Mono vs braided

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by CrankyThunder, May 17, 2020.

1. CrankyThunder

CrankyThunder

Thinking of going to braided line.

Searched and the last thread on this was 8 years ago.

Whats your thoughts? Experiences? Recommendations?

2. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

Depends on what you are using it for. Mono and braid both have their strengths and weaknesses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Brian027

Brian027

Probably should include your targeted species or expected fishing method (trolling, casting, jigging, etc.) and you’ll likely get more helpful advice.

4. Brian027

Brian027

5. Burz

Burz

Braid to leader is what I like. Or straight braid. Fluoro leader for contact baits and mono leader for moving baits, currently liking the alberto knot. Line manageability is what I like about braid and it lasts quite some time. Only time I like mono is for when its below freezing

6. CrankyThunder

CrankyThunder

Ok, I like to fish everywhere, I carry my rod in my truck along with my waders and I travel around the lower half of the LP for business and if I have a extra hour or two, will find a local creek, river, lake, park, whatever and will toss a line in.

Most of the time it is with bait and bobber, sometimes spoons, spinners, cranks, and rubber worms. Also like to take my boat out on the lakes as well. Basically, I fish when the opportunity presents itself and not to much of the planned outing a week ahead.

Regards,
    cranky

7. CrankyThunder

CrankyThunder

Basically, I am looking for your guys opinion of what the strengths and weaknesses of each are, I know that ten years ago, when the braided first came out, I had a lot of problems with tangling up and/or digging in with the open faced reel but I did like the more intense feel of the braided line when fish were playing with the bait.

8. tincanary

tincanary

Thinner diameter braid (20lb and under) is more prone to digging than the thicker stuff. You can run 30lb on size 30 and up reels no problem, but under that size you may have issues with line capacity. The thicker stuff also isn't as susceptible to wind knots like the thin stuff. The main thing that causes line to dig into itself is trying to horse your way out of a snag by locking down the drag. I carry a small piece of dowel that I wrap the line around to pull myself free from snags.

9. Brian027

Brian027

I prefer to run 8# - 12# braid with a 12"-18" flourocarbon leader on the end for my all purpose rods and my jigging rods. I find the flouro leader is much easier to tie on lures/hooks, especially when it's a little breezy. I like the strength and sensitivity of the braid. However, if you choose braid you will have to deal with the line wrapping around the guides and the rod tip especially when landing fish. I'm always watching the fish so I'm not paying attention to the rod tip, but I think the shaking of the rod, when tucking it under your arm or setting in the boat, once the fish is netted/landed causes the braid to wrap around the end (or maybe it's just me).
    That said, I do run mono on my ultralight trout/panfish rod (casts better) and my steelhead rod (stretch). Finally, if you go with braid, I recommend loading the spool with 50-75yds of cheap mono before spooling your braid, it will help fill the spool. My 2 cents...

10. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

Honestly for what your doing I’d stick with mono for any bait that is moving. Fishing rubber worm Texas rigged is where I would run like 8-10lbs braid with 8 lbs flouro leader.

Or instead of mono you could run some flouro coated co-polymer for your moving baits. Flouro is non-stretch like braid. For moving baits imho you don’t 100% flouro as you just want the line a little less noticeable and you can save some money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tincanary likes this.
  11. piketroller

piketroller

My guess at your prior issues with braid digging in are due to the line not being packed on tightly. If the line is spooled loosely, then you can have major problems. If your fishing methods don’t allow you to wind the line back onto the reel after each cast with some level of tension, then light braid is not going to work for you. But if the issue is jut not packing it on tightly on the initial spooling, then you can fix that very easily.

12. fishnpbr

fishnpbr

The only application I use braid for is vertical jigging. I am going to spool up some braid for perch fishing this fall.

13. bobcolenso

bobcolenso Premium Member

All of my reels (except my ultra-lights) are spooled with 20# Power Pro, then an appropriate leader.

14. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

Power pro slick to p line floro..

15. -Axiom-

-Axiom- Premium Member

In a non abrasive environment I like Nanofil with a leader, Maxima fluoro or mono.