Moles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Michigan Homesteading and Home Improvement' started by MichiganHunter1971, Mar 24, 2009.

1. MichiganHunter1971

MichiganHunter1971

Ok i gott em and never had em before, HOW DO I GET RID OF THEM!!!!!!!! I got traps out but they set them off and the spikes are not going into penetrate them.....:yikes:

2. wally-eye

wally-eye Guest

MOVE....:lol:

I live on 4 acres surrounded by woods. I have thousands of them. I can get rid of them for a while but within weeks they are back from the woods. I've learned to live with them and just automatically hook up the lawn roller to the garden tractor every time I mow........

I have used everything from gum, poisons, traps, more traps, pitchforks, shovels. But last year I had the best luck rolling the yard and then sitting in a lawnchair next to an active trail and wait with my 06 in my lap.......works for me and you only have to figure out the angle. :lol: True story though...kind of a slow process though.....but fullfilling............

Good luck........

3. tinmarine

tinmarine

Spike traps suck. The best ones are the hoop traps. A friend of my dad's heard if you use rock candy that will take care of it. He put some in the tunnels and hasn't seen them since. I don't know if it works or not, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

4. Get rid of the grubs and the moles will go away.......Never seen Caddy Shack Bill Murray knew how to take care of them...:lol:........Mack

topgun47 likes this.
  5. jlcrss

jlcrss

Boy do I have a suggestion for you. You are gonna love this. I used to do this minus the alcohol back when I lived in the South Dakota.

Here's what you do.

1.) Pick a current spot with a fresh run.
    2.) Get a lawn chair or comfortable chair, 12 gauge shotgun w/heavy shot, and a beverage of your own choosing. (The beverage part is for sanity sake.)
    3.) Position you chair close the end of the run and have a seat with your shotgun in hand.
    4.) Wait for the ground to move then let em have it.
    5.) Dig up leftovers of mole.

It will take some commitment on your part but it actually fun. Good luck.

6. Ole Spike

Ole Spike

Hoop type is the way to go. Only had one mole in seven years and got him in the first 2 hours! Had previously tried the poison and it didn't work at all.

7. Atchison

Atchison

Exactly, get rid of the food and they will leave (or die of starvation), I have to do this every spring, works for the season, then the same thing happens again (it doesn't help that my neighbors do nothing about them:rant: they just leave my yard and then after the grubs find thier way back they come back)

8. wyldkat49766

wyldkat49766

We just have had tunnels show up practically overnight.

And sorry guys but the pitchfork is more satisfying. Just keep stabbing until the tines are bloody. I took out 6 in a week when I lived down in GR. But that was using a shovel. Once I got my hands on neighbors yard fork, it only had 3 tines, it was much easier.

I do not do poison for ANYTHING since I have had to put down a cat that ate something that had been poisoned.

9. Non Typical

Non Typical

I have had very good luck with the spikes. This is how I set it:
    1 make sure the tunnel is still being used
    2 push down the tunnel with your foot
    3 set trap where the trigger is in your footprint
    4 pack dirt/sand around the two legs (keep the light from getting down in hole)
    5 if you do not catch one the next day move it

I have caught as many as 4 in the same run, you don't have to dig out the dead. When you pull out the trap the spikes will be wet looking if you got one.

10. outdoor junkie

outdoor junkie

Had them every year up until two summers ago. Then I started getting my lawn sprayed for grubs, no moles since then. But I used them little poison nightcrawlers from Home depot, and they were gone the next day. Just poke a small hole in the tunnel and drop one down in, no more moles. I never had any luck with the traps. Good luck, I know it can be maddening.

11. Big Reds

Big Reds

I have had much better luck with the claw type traps. There are poison gummy worms that you place in the tunnels that are supposed to be effective.

12. ficious

ficious catch & digest Premium Member

Get rid of their food and they will disappear on their own. Had em for years, tried everything. It's been 2 years and not a one. They seem to like the june bug larva at my place(white grub w/red head). Put down the grub killer and they were gone within a month.

Harry

13. wild bill

wild bill dumb redneck Premium Member Mods

2 things. victor Out O'Sight Mole Trap and merit. use the traps till june and then put down the merit and your good till next june.

14. Greenbush future

Greenbush future

Grub killer works but spreading chemicals all over the law is a choice only the owner makes. I prefere the non chemical method, pitchfork and a beer.
    I dont put anything on my lawn that promotes growth via chemicals same with bugs except wood ants around the garage. They can consume huge amounts of wood!

petronius likes this.
  15. tbbassdaddy

tbbassdaddy

I sure miss the days of Diazinon...
    tb