Minn Kota Ulterra

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species Fishing' started by FishMichv2, Jul 7, 2020.

1. D-Fresh

D-Fresh

Just went through researching trolling motors for my new boat. The main concern that steered me away from the Ulterra is that several people and the dealer all cautioned to avoid them if you fish early spring/ late fall in cold weather. The auto deploy/stow feature is fantastic when it works, but apparently it can be a problem in cold weather. The last thing you want to do is have to wrestle with the motor on the bow to get it stowed in 3 footers in March on the bay.

If auto deploy/store had a huge market, the other trolling motor manufacturers would have it as an option. None of them do. Definitely see the benefit for some guys that don't want to climb on the bow for safety reasons or for guys with health limitations, but I chose to go a different route since I'm able to deploy the motor.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

2. piketroller

piketroller

The Ulterra is not Minn Kota’s first attempt at auto stow & deploy. A decade ago they introduced the Genesis. It was a warranty nightmare for them. When they discontinued making them, they had a trade in program where you could exchange a Genesis in working order or not for any other Minn Kota product of equal or lesser value. These motors were used mostly to scavenge parts to fix the remaining motors still under warranty, and to get working motors out of the field before they became new warranty problems. The other trolling motor makers got scared away from this concept because it looked for awhile like the money Minn Kota was hemorrhaging might bankrupt them.

D-Fresh likes this.

3. YOTEANTIDOTE

YOTEANTIDOTE

bellkey, sullyxlh and Team Camo like this.
  4. BCBoy

BCBoy

I bought an Ulterra a couple years ago. Absolutely love it. Spit lick etc. is fantastic but the best thing for this old guy is the remote deploy and stow!!!

sullyxlh likes this.
  5. Fishsmith85

Fishsmith85

I fish with 3 different guys that own the ulterra. One has had zero problems but the other two had auto deploy and stow issues. One guy couldn’t get his to deploy and the other couldn’t get his to stow. Both cases it would go about halfway and stop. I’ve seen two other boats on Detroit River with the same issue. From what I know once they’re stuck that’s it, no manual override. But when they work it’s wonderful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Downsea

Downsea Premium Member

There's an override, manually. Look it up. Pretty easy.
    I've had mine for 3 years now and not one problem early, mid and late seasons. I wouldn't buy any other now. I do need to say I have never used another brand. I have it networked with the Humminbird and use the I-link too. I mounted and set mine up and networked it. It's not rocket science to setup/mount and run the wiring and use the Ipilot/Ilink. Keep the belt clean and adjusted along with the rest of the motor and there aren't any problems. A lot of guys pay a lot of money to have it mounted and setup never look at it and wonder why it doesn't work when there is junk in the belt and other lack of maintenance.

7. GSPNut

GSPNut

I have been using a first generation Ulterra (non-Bluetooth) for 5 or 6 years now. Has never let me down. I do a lot of run and gun smallmouth fishing where I may hit 15 separate spots in a morning. The auto stow and deploy is huge to me. If you only use it for extended trolling sessions and may only deploy a few times an outing, I’m not sure the Ulterra would be beneficial. I’ve never tried the launch trick. Seen enough videos of guys going swimming after their boats when they failed to turn the motor on before launching the boat....

FishMichv2 likes this.
  8. BCBoy

BCBoy

For this old guy who doesn’t get around as well as in the past, the auto deploy/stow was one of the major considerations when I bought mine a couple years ago. The cruise, auto pilot and spot lock are great as well.
    I love the Ulterra!

FishMichv2 likes this.
  9. BCBoy

BCBoy

You refer to “junk in the belt”. I’m not real clever when it comes to mechanical stuff. What belt are you referring to? I’ll clean it if I know what it is!!
    Thanks for your insight!!

Downsea likes this.
  10. Downsea

Downsea Premium Member

The belt raises and lowers the shaft.

11. woodie slayer

woodie slayer

run your hand down the shaft and youll feel it.make sure its not sloppy loose. there is allen screw on bottom of head to tighten it just dont over tighten..i spray mine with silicone spray or wd40

12. Axle Saturday

Axle Saturday

Im on year 3. Its been awesome when it works. But when the Stow and deploy dosnt work, its a pain in the butt taking it apart on the bow of the boat with waves knocking ya around. I went and spoke with the service tech twice. He said that Ulterra shouldn't have been released when it did because it was still in the Beta stage of Development. Other then that, Its changed the game for me. Now, If I had it to do all over again, I probably would have purchased the Ulterra.
    I still wonder every time I deploy it, if today is the day I get stuck with the motor in the Down position.

The Spot lock is awesome. It helps to have a little wind.

13. LOman

LOman

Two tricks to avoid the problems that I had with my Terrova:
    1) be sure that your wiring can handle 60 amps. I had to upgrade the wiring and the breaker to avoid popping the breaker above 70 percent power.

2) make sure that the shaft is nearly vertical when deployed. Mine was 8 degrees off vertical and it caused problems with the electromechanical compass used in the Legacy Autopilot. Before I leveled it, the motor would ratchet counterclockwise with wave action.

As others have said, autopilot is spectacular for steering when trolling, and Spotlock is fantastic in place of an anchor.

14. sfw1960

sfw1960 Staff Member Super Mod Mods

Older thread I know,
    Mr. Brian Leiva...
    He's a helluva good guy Dave...
    He's sold me a HB 998c HDSI & Helix 10 Chirp Mega DI GPS G2N as well as a few other goodies over the years.
    If you're not using i-Pilot Link/HB you're missing some of the best features.
    100% stand-up gent you can trust.
    Highest recommendation I can give to buy from!

TK81 likes this.
  15. Gone_Hunting

Gone_Hunting

Can you elaborate on the "best features" please? I would buy the link if it was really worth it..