Minn Kota Ulterra

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species Fishing' started by FishMichv2, Jul 7, 2020.

1. FishMichv2

FishMichv2 Premium Member

My new boat came with the Powerdrive 55lb 12v. It's a fine motor but too small for my boat. Need something with a little more power and longer shaft. Also, my last boat had a 24volt motor and I'm spoiled.

I've been looking at the Ulterra. I launch my boat alone a lot and the motor looks amazing for this situation. For those of you that have it, is it an added convenience? Easy? Reliable? Is this the only real feature that separates it from the Terrova? I've also been wanting to get into deep vertical jigging and was curious if anyone uses this motor to hold them in place. Is the Bluetooth to hummingbird feature reliable? Is it worth the purchase? Sorry, lots of questions.

2. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

I just bought an Ulterra 80lbs thrust and 60 inch shaft . I will let you know in about 3 weeks how it works out. I’ll have it mounted on my sea nymph in 2 weeks

Beware you might have an issue finding one right now. Most big box stores are sold out and so is the internet. They have them on back order and have no idea when they will get them. Doesn’t hurt to call though. I’d be looking at mom and pop places off of the beaten path. There are probably ones and twosies around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FishMichv2 likes this.

3. Walley Gordo

Walley Gordo

Check out Reeds Sports in Walker, Minn. I think they will have what your looking for. Free shipping and no tax.

FishMichv2 likes this.
  4. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

I think I bought my garmin striker 4 ice pack from there. They have good prices and fast shipping. They were the cheapest for the ice pack

Walley Gordo likes this.
  5. Walley Gordo

Walley Gordo

I have bought quite a few big ticket items from them over the years. Great place to deal with great customer service and fast shipping.

6. FishMichv2

I'll check them out. I saw they were on back order through Minn Kota. Was gonna check Jay's if I decided to pull the trigger.

7. TK81

TK81

Check with this member: upload_2020-7-7_22-17-48.png

He steered to a place down south that has the absolute best prices. I think he (Rich) rigs boats professionally. I can't remember the name of the seller he referred me to.

I only have the Terrova, but the spot lock is truly a game changer. Especially if you want to jig or perch fish deep water.

FishMichv2 likes this.
  8. piketroller

piketroller

Probably either Russel Marine or Hydrilla Gear. They are a high volume trolling motor sellers down south.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    FishMichv2 and TK81 like this.
  9. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

Actually this is what I have not the ulterra

Gone_Hunting likes this.
  10. TK81

TK81

Found it in my gmail:

https://bbgmarine.com/

11. Gone_Hunting

Gone_Hunting

Read into the ipilot link before you spend the extra money, you may not necessarily need it depending on what you plan on doing. The main factors of having it are being able to follow contour lines with your bird mapping system. I did not get the link for the extra few hundred bucks because I wouldnt use that feature much. Being able to set lines and watch rods without constantly having to steer the boat is a huge game changer plus the spot lock works amazing. Love my terrova!

fishin_noob, mbirdsley and FishMichv2 like this.
  12. FishMichv2

Thanks. Yeah, I'm wanting to get into jigging for Lakers so this is appealing.

13. Moldman

Moldman

Love my Ulterra. The spot lock is awesome.80#, 24 volt runs all day without any problems. Use it to steer boat with power from kicker. Mostly trolling for walleye.

Downsea and FishMichv2 like this.
  14. FishMichv2

Whelp, sounds like I'm gonna have to break the news to the wife.

Gone_Hunting and TK81 like this.
  15. Gone_Hunting

Gone_Hunting

Hopefully after she sees the box at the house lol

Downsea and FishMichv2 like this.