Minn Kota for Starweld 20pro

Discussion in 'Boating and Boat Rigging' started by 1fishingnut, Apr 25, 2020.

1. 1fishingnut

1fishingnut

Hello,
    Is anyone running a MinnKota on a similar boat while using a kicker? I’ve been thinking about adding a terrova with link & spot lock but I don’t know if I should get the 60” shaft or 72” to troll with.
    Anyone running a similar setup?
    Thank you

2. WALLEYE MIKE

WALLEYE MIKE Staff Member Mods

I have an 18 ft boat and a 60" shaft and when 2ft or better waves it will come out of the water. 72" will probably suit your needs.

1fishingnut likes this.

3. anagranite

anagranite

I have a 2150 baron which has a tall freeboard. It came with a 60" terrova and I put a 72" ulterra on it. The 72 is a must for wavy days.

How often do you fish shallow and cast out of the bow? The only disadvantage of the 72 is the extra height when you are extremely shallow and fishing over it. There is also the extra cost

1fishingnut likes this.
  4. bowhunter426

bowhunter426

I would get an Ulterra over the Terrova. The new terrova has a spring lift assist that causes it to ride up when riding down a wave and it will disengage from the steering. Any close wave period and it was useless.

SAVChippewa04 and 1fishingnut like this.
  5. fowl

fowl

I’ve had the same problem with the spring lift assist bumping the motor up on a wave. I use a strip of Velcro to hold it down when it gets wavy. Poor design On that idea I guess. Otherwise that motor is amazing. Couldn’t live without it.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

1fishingnut likes this.
  6. 1fishingnut

1fishingnut

Thank you for the reply’s. Most of my fishing is on the great lakes, but I think the electric trolling motor will make it easier to get on some smaller lakes too.

7. bowhunter426

bowhunter426

I held mine down with a bungee cord, or tried too. Invaluable when trolling or spot lock. Never had issues with the motor bouncing up on spot lock. If I could do it over again, I would buy the Ulterra

8. cuda man

cuda man

I have a Starweld pro 20 , 60 in Minnkota , a 72 in would be better , anything over 2 ft waves it comes out of the water

9. 386xf

386xf

Is this an issue when going with the waves? Or just when trying to troll into them?