Minimum acreage to "manage deer"

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Management' started by shell waster, Sep 12, 2020.

1. pgpn123

pgpn123

Makes a big difference for sure. Human intrusion is one of the very biggest factors that affect deer movement.
    I'm curious as to your own situation...hunt public? Private with more people than you care for?

2. sniper

sniper

Missed all this action yesterday. Brush that guru you speak of is the deer king of Hillsdale county. The guy just knows how to bring in older bucks to his property better than anyone I ever seen.

We hunt 154 acres in Hillsdale with 54 acres managed by us and the 100 acre lease (right across the road) not managed other than passing young bucks. There’s multiple neighbors that sling projectiles at anything that moves. We accept it. They shoot there deer and move on usually. Only so many young bucks are gonna be shot. Few years ago starting in July we had roughly 25 different 3.5 yr olds or older on camera. When I first started 18 yrs ago on this property with trigger restraint and habitat, those older buck numbers were unheard of. Our hunting is great. It can be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

3. Hillsdales Most Wanted

Hillsdales Most Wanted

If i remember correctly Farmlegend is near u?

sniper likes this.
  4. sniper

sniper

Posters here Farmlegend, Mal, Groundsize, RMH, JML2 are all in the Township. All great deer stewards who understand how to manage deer. Does it help to have them all in the neighborhood?Absolutely. With that though, brings expectations and extra hunters. Double edge sword so to speak.

5. Dish7

Dish7

Who's Farmlegend? :whistle:

KingHingeCut, sniper and Radar420 like this.
  6. Radar420

Radar420

I heard he's traveling the world chasing the billfish grand slam. He sold most of his acreage because a lot of it was just going to waste - why own 400 acres when you can accomplish the same thing on 40? ;)

sniper, KingHingeCut and Dish7 like this.
  7. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Covid be damned. I saw him during his UP world tour. He had to come see how other elitists managed and hunted their properties.

QDMAMAN, sniper and Dish7 like this.
  8. sniper

sniper

Yep that guy is a steel Gypsy! Lol. He assed dialed me from Florida a few months ago. I heard him speaking to someone for about 5 minutes about where he was staying and where he was going on his time down there. Vacationing in probably the worst state in the union for covid this past summer and there’s farmlegend doing his thing. Priceless. IMG_1478.JPG

9. sniper

sniper

Yes I miss his lightning bolt input here. Lol. Hopefully he’ll chime in on some LFTS thread soon.

Dish7 likes this.
  10. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Dan’s top secret UP base of operation was just less than 2 miles away from my camp. I believe he now has a much better appreciation of what lies above the Straits.

sniper likes this.
  11. jparks02

jparks02

I think this post is spot on to the OPS original question regardless as to how one perceives what the original intent of the author is. I imagine if you read this book, which I have, you will learn and understand in better depth the answer to the question. If you are like me, you will learn how much you really don't know (if you're new to all this).

This book, along with hiring Jake Ehlinger, kick started my understanding of the habitat and deer world. I didn't know I was hunting wrong to reach my own personal goals and objectives, I didn't know my property was a dead zone as far as the deer were concerned, and I didn't know I could influence the harvest results I wanted and help build a predictable deer herd/pattern/habitat regardless of how my neighbors hunted. Not to mention, what I learned helped influence all kinds of other wildlife as well.
    I have had nothing but a great time learning since the I read this book and I continue to learn from the likes of Jeff Sturgis, Steve Bartylla, many OPS on this site, the Hunting Beast, GrowingDeer.tv, Mid-Michigan Outdoors, Eberhart, Midwest Whitetail, Habitat Pro LLC, Land & Legacy, Drury, No-Till growers, Wired to hunt and many others. I have tried to learn and continue to try and learn as much as I can.

The answer to the question isn't a simple one, my suggestion, read the book.

Deskjockey1, Waif, mbrewer and 2 others like this.
  12. Whitetail Freak

Whitetail Freak

If I get a rain day today, I’ll post pics of a buck from 2 years ago that I got pictures of everyday (besides a handful) from beginning of October to December. Yup I’ll post every picture, 99.5% daylight pictures. He survived to the next year on 25 acres that’s is 130 yards wide!
    Sorry Hillsdale no 8 year olds, both my neighbors, on either side of me shoot anything.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    Waif, jparks02 and Dish7 like this.
  13. Hillsdales Most Wanted

Hillsdales Most Wanted

Sorry Freak no excuse its already been discussed, neighbors don't play a role in buck age structure.

jparks02 likes this.
  14. Whitetail Freak

Whitetail Freak

I’ve only passed a couple 3 year olds so of course not much older. But ok. Couldn’t imagine owning 40 acres like you.

Waif, jparks02 and HUBBHUNTER2 like this.
  15. Hillsdales Most Wanted

Hillsdales Most Wanted

Where u been?? Acreage has also been discussed, only need 12 acres. Believe me this is all a surprise to me too

Waif and jparks02 like this.