Minimum acreage to "manage deer"

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Management' started by shell waster, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Sparky23

Sparky23 Banned

So every 1.5 is killed? So how is there any deer left if a neighbor shoots 1.5a? I have 12 acres neighbors to east and north and north of that shoot anything amd I busted one shooting over his number last year. Year before him and "wife shot" 4 bucks. Biggest a 5 point. How is it I have multiple mature bucks around my 12acres again. All be it at night but still do. In your theory me passing every buck that walks by it would see 2.5 or 3.5 or older. I guarantee if I was shooting 2 little ones a year along with everyone else's there would be 2 less 2 yes next year. Which mean probably 1 less 3.5 the following year.

2. Lund Explorer

Lund Explorer

Looking back at the OP's post, I assume that many others don't have enough knowledge.

Also, reading the many threads on here with members upset and complaining about neighbors tells me that there are a whole lot of people who have an unrealistic idea of what "managing or growing" monster bucks means.

textox and Gamekeeper like this.

3. Hillsdales Most Wanted

Hillsdales Most Wanted

Ultimately u need zero acres to pass bucks(state land). I encourage everyone to atleast pass all 1.5s regardless of acreage.

mbrewer, sniper, Gamekeeper and 2 others like this.
  4. Chessieman

Chessieman

"IF YOU BUILD IT THEY WILL COME"

At least that is all of us habitat guys hope for!
    P.S. I play the lottery also.

5. Sparky23

Sparky23 Banned

I personally agree. But some make it through regardless if not we wouldnt have deer.

6. brushbuster

brushbuster Premium Member

I think the best thing you can do is manage how you hunt your property and provide optimum habitat especially in the SLP

7. Dish7

Dish7

Well, I have forty. I can't remember the last time we didn't have some 4.5s running around. I get and fully expect an opportunity or two each season. Sometimes it works out, sometimes not. I let all (almost) 3.5s walk. I have neighbors who hunt the same way, but also more who don't. Many Amish. Neighbor (maybe 1/8th mile away) killed a Booner last year that was only a 9pt. 150 incher the year before. Myself, I'm in the 700 club with all but one of those five killed on my property. I have seven more shoulder mounts and five euros (after the top 5) that are 3.5 or better, all killed on my 40. Not bragging, just saying that I'm not speculating on this topic.

sniper, brewster, textox and 3 others like this.
  8. Hillsdales Most Wanted

Hillsdales Most Wanted

You & your neighbors are a perfect example of passing on bucks, thats awesome. But that has nothing to do with my question, would u have the same success with several brown its down killers on your property lines. If u think u would have the same success then u have been spoiled for too long.

9. Hillsdales Most Wanted

Hillsdales Most Wanted

I believe the problem with this thread is some are reading it as how many acres to improve buck hunting. And some are reading it as how many acres to manage a buck herd. I was reading it as managing a buck herd.

10. brushbuster

What if you had a 40-80 acre chunk of land that nobody hunted. Do you think deer would congregate and hold there?

sniper, Ieatshrooms and Dish7 like this.
  11. brushbuster

I can buy that.

Ieatshrooms likes this.
  12. Dish7

Dish7

I thought I said that I already do have those type of hunters. How many deer do think the Amish are letting walk? Until last year, I had gun hunters from Detroit every year on the 65 acres that butts up against mine. They put more lead in the air and wounded more deer then anyone I know. Who cares? They ended up with one or two 1.5s and three or four does per year between the four of them. Of my neighbors who hunt like me, there is roughly 240 acres. Not continuous acres. Most of them do not pass 3.5s. We have guys down the road who have been caught trespassing and baiting. So we have many of the same issues others have.
    Spoiled??? I'll risk the strike...fyou!!! I work my ass off on this little property and the way I go about hunting it. And still, there are plenty of other guys in theses forums and elsewhere that are way better at this then me. Habitat and hunter wise.

13. Hillsdales Most Wanted

Hillsdales Most Wanted

F me, lol.

Ok so now u have an additional 200 acres of qdm in your area. Again thats awesome. Take that 200 acres & have them start shooting 1.5s & I'm willing to bet it changes your hunting. Agree????

Sorry for replying to this thread, if talking about managing a buck herd u will need way more than 40 acres

14. brushbuster

the op was talking about managing a herd so the bucks can go grow. I think you can do that with small acreage. Not all will make it for sure, but some will, and some will even stay on your property long enough for a disciplined hunter to shoot.

15. Hillsdales Most Wanted

Hillsdales Most Wanted

I agree, I believe most of us on here are proof of this.

Dish7 and brushbuster like this.