Minimum acreage to "manage deer"

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Management' started by shell waster, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Lund Explorer

Lund Explorer

That isn't the wording used in the propaganda shown in post #71. Many may understand the truth, but it does a disservice to those who don't. Why post something that is so misleading?

2. Dish7

Dish7

What is the propaganda?

brewster, anagranite and Ieatshrooms like this.

3. Ieatshrooms

Ieatshrooms

Ahhh, so it was a set up. I wondered why someone would ask such a dumb question. I'd be just as dumb for arguing with you over something you clearly have your mind made up on. Good luck to you this season.

EDIT: Authors frequently assume their audience has some knowledge in the field they are writing about. In this case, hunters would have the established knowledge to know a deer isn't going to live on 40 acres its whole life. In case you really want an answer.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    Lightfoot and QDMAMAN like this.
  4. Sparky23

Sparky23 Banned

You can manage for better bucks on as little average as you want. You pass up a buck there is a chance he makes it to following year. The more you pass the more chances some.make it. Once they hit 2.5 they have a much better chance of making it to 3.5 and so on. You can improve your chances by adding better habitat for them to stay on or frequent. If you dont agree that's fine but as said 100 times before even the hydrangeas guy would shoot a 10pt over a spike in the garden. All hunters get excited for different reason but all also would be more excited over a large buck than a fork horn. Weather they admit it or not

sniper, Dish7, Ieatshrooms and 2 others like this.
  5. brushbuster

brushbuster Premium Member

Bingo. Location matters, food matters, pressure matters, cover matters. I hunted a a 80 acre parcel with harvest rules and it was dynamite. We always had a few 4.5 yr olds to hunt.

6. brushbuster

The neighbor had less than 50 and always took a buck over 3 yrs old.

sniper and Dish7 like this.
  7. Whitetail Freak

Whitetail Freak

I just went through 9000+ pics last week, it was a 3 week check. My best spot maxed the card out on oct 10, 12 days, 5000 pics. 25 acres.

QDMAMAN likes this.
  8. Hillsdales Most Wanted

Hillsdales Most Wanted

Anyone who can MANAGE bucks on their tiny michigan property would have 5.5-10.5 year old bucks running around. Right??

9. Dish7

Dish7

I don't believe I have ever read anyone in this thread or others having such ridiculously high expectations like that. Are you looking for semantics "gotcha" like Lund? LOL.

10. Hillsdales Most Wanted

Hillsdales Most Wanted

Nobody has those expectations because no one on this site owns enough land.

So I ask u= how many acres would u need to consistently shoot 4.5+ year old bucks IF u had brown its down buck killers sitting on all of your property lines?

11. brushbuster

There was a guy in your neighborhood use to do it on 49. A member here actually. Pretty disciplined hunter.

12. Hillsdales Most Wanted

Hillsdales Most Wanted

It would be nice to know how many acres. And how many hunters that were brown its down on his property lines.

I do know a family in my area with approximately 700 acres that target 4.5s. But one of their neighbors targets 3.5s not 1.5s

13. brushbuster

If I remember correctly, the majority of the surrounding property owners had 40-80 acres. He was meticulous how, where, and how often he hunted. Spent over 20 years turning his property into a deer holding magnet.

14. brushbuster

He leased the property to us next to him. Definitely a lot of gun fire on opening morning.

sniper likes this.