Minimum acreage to "manage deer"

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Management' started by shell waster, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Whitetail Freak

Whitetail Freak

For 8 year olds? I’m selling the back 12 then, had no idea, thanks. Should save a lot of money on taxes.
    You sure get pretty touchy during deer season.
    Have a good day, hope u get your 8 year old.

Walt Donaldson, Waif and Dish7 like this.
  2. Hillsdales Most Wanted

Hillsdales Most Wanted

Touchy? Just stating facts that members told me in this thread.

3. sniper

sniper

Newest 3.5 yr old. Pulled card 2 weeks ago and just seen yesterday.
    Just saying. IMG_1857.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

4. Dish7

Dish7

Not going to look but I'll bet not one post told you that neighbors aren't a factor. In fact just the opposite. Maybe "touchy" is not the right word. Bitter is probably better. Bitter about whatever it is your neighbors are doing. Shooting too many doe in your opinion, maybe?
    I think you have tunnel vision on the thread title and not the OP's actual question which asked: "what do you think would be the minimum acreage to attempt some version of qdm."
    Or...you are you just trolling? LOL.

5. Whitetail Freak

Whitetail Freak

I was trying to be nice, maybe peeenis. Lol

6. mbrewer

mbrewer

None

7. mbrewer

mbrewer

1.jpg

8. Hillsdales Most Wanted

Hillsdales Most Wanted

I pretty much told u your neighbors(passing bucks) play a role in your buck sightings/harvest. U then said f u & you work your butt off on your property. I took that as u feel your neighbors DO NOT influence the bucks u see. U would kill 4.5s regardless of neighbors.

Yes or No ??

9. Dish7

Dish7

I'm not going over all this again, lol. Just go back and reread the thread. You should run for office with that heavily edited selective memory you have. :lol:

10. mbrewer

mbrewer

Good post. It's really hard to get where we're going if we don't know we are.

Waif and jparks02 like this.
  11. Dish7

Dish7

RlT6fyJ6_400x400.jpg ALLEGEDLY...

jparks02 likes this.
  12. mbrewer

mbrewer

HUBBHUNTER2, Walt Donaldson and Dish7 like this.
  13. Tilden Hunter

Tilden Hunter

Sooo, are we all on the same team, or not?

14. Martin Looker

Martin Looker

All of this argument about how much land you need to have great hunting is kind of worthless. I have owned this place since 1969 and I can't seem to hold many deer around here. I have some does that are here most of the time but bucks come and go. The bigger ones I watch on camera all summer and fall wind up dead a mile away. I do have lots of yearlings as in spikes and for points and some nice big spikes with really heavy antlers but in all of years here I have killed one 10 point.

15. Dustan Grieshop

Dustan Grieshop

So I own 80 acres which I am currently trying to improve with grasses, tree planting and hinge cutting/thinning. I have no cooperation for qdm because no one in my area cares and they are mostly brown and down. My neighbors have stands on 3 of 4 borders and the only one that doesn’t is the road. I noticed last year that my north neighbors pushed the first day of gun season and it was dead from then on. I am not happy with the number of bucks on camera this summer....mostly 1.5 and a few 2.5 and only 3 3.5+ (one is a monster that everyone knows about) I am in mid western Ohio where it is high ag and low deer numbers (15 dpsm /Ohio’s deer dead zone). Is it crazy for me to even be spending the time and effort? Should I just cut my losses now look for an area with higher deer numbers? I was thinking about trying to do this in my home town because I am too busy to drive 3 hours but I am starting to think it may be a lost cause. I am not asking to be able to kill a 3.5+ yo every year but when you only have 3 on camera all summer it kinda feels like it could be 10 years. Also, with cwd lurking by the time my trees grow there is probably going to be no deer left anyways. Honest opinions please.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman